Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Worried

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worried
omegadltalpha
Neophyte
Member # 44051

Icon 11 posted      Profile for omegadltalpha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About four or five days ago my boyfriend and I had sex and he pulled out saying he was close to find that the condom had broken. He did not get there inside of me but I'm worried about the precum. I'm not sure if any got inside of me and immediately afterwards I went to the restroom and tried to get everything out, just in case. I am on birth control, YAZ, but I don't take it at the same time everyday and sometimes miss days but I always take two the next day, so I'm worried about how effective it is.

Can I get pregnant from this? My period is in a week so should I know before then? What should I do?

Posts: 14 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few things to talk about and clear up here.

First of all, yes, that's a pregnancy risk. It is too late to take Emergency Contraception so you'll have to take the "wait and see" approach. A pregnancy test will be accurate 2 weeks after the risk so you can take one then.

Now, let's talk about some things to know so that this doesn't happen again.

First things first: birth control, like any other medication, is meant to work when you take it correctly. Taking it sporadically and skipping days all together means the effectiveness is way compromised. There are some tips that other people have found useful for making sure to take their pills online. Setting a cell phone alarm to go off at the same time each day when you are usually home as a reminder, taking it as soon as you wake up (maybe right before you brush your teeth so it's just part of your everyday "I have to do this" routine, or right before or after another thing you do every single day.

If you really can't take your pills on time regularly you will want to go talk to your doctor about getting a different form of birth control; the pill is popular but not the only one.

I'm not entirely sure what you meant when you said you "went to the bathroom and tried to get everything out." If you were referring to pre-ejaculate then that doesn't really work.

In the future you can get and take emergency contraception for up to 120 hours after a risk; it's more effective the sooner after you take it, so keep that in mind.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.