Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » risk level?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: risk level?
elephantine
Neophyte
Member # 63015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elephantine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About a month ago, the time of my last period, my boyfriend and I were making out, and had genital contact without a condom/ protection. There was no evidence of precum, or anything of the sort, and after, we had sex USING a condom, which did not break, coupled with withdrawal, so he finished outside, into the condom. When putting on the condom, there was no wetness from the previous genital contact, and it was mainly his shaft in between my legs. I did a rough estimate of my period, since I didn't know the exact date of my last one, and it came out to be yesterday. Today, I have my usual cramps, but still no bleeding, and I was curious as to the level of risk in this scenario. Thanks!
Posts: 22 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms combined with withdrawal is 99.9% effective with perfect use, so your risk is very low. If you are having your usual cramps your period is probably on it's way. If you aren't charting your period how did you decide on yesterday? Do you know how long your cycle is?

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elephantine
Neophyte
Member # 63015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elephantine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am really just worried about the genital contact beforehand.

My cycle, for the past 2 months, has been 28 days. I only started paying attention once I became sexually active, so I don't know how often it goes irregular, or if it does. When this scenario took place, my period was just ending, so I counted back a few days to estimate a start, and counted 28 days from there, which took me to yesterday. It's certainly not set in stone, I guess just the idea makes me weary, and nervous as a result.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I'm sorry, I read that as WITH a condom rather than without! There is a risk with genital contact but without ejaculation it is very low.

But since you are just estimating your period date, and you are getting signs of your period, I don't know that you are late yet. I would wait a few more days and if it still hasn't come you can take a pregnancy test.

You are actually at a much higher risk for STIs than pregnancy with this. For condom use to be most effective it needs to be used for all genital contact. Are you and your boyfriend up to date on STI screening?

[ 07-22-2011, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elephantine
Neophyte
Member # 63015

Both of us are up to date, yes. When you say "without ejaculation," are you referring to a full- on ejaculation, rather than pre- ejaculate? Also, is it possible that cramps appear a day or so before actual bleeding? Cramping for me only started about 3 months ago, so I'm still not sure.
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Yes, ejaculation is much riskier than pre-ejaculate. Pre-ejaculate itself actually doesn't contain sperm, but it can have sperm left over from a previous ejaculation.

Each woman is different, but yes, cramps often appear before bleeding.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.