Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » uti infection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: uti infection
sunkissedx
Activist
Member # 48752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunkissedx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been suffering with anxiety and depression due to a new stresful job, the thing is i made an appointment to see the dr as i was getting stomach cramps, needing to urinate alot (also feeling a full feeling in bladder), cold sweats and high temperatures. Ive had the shakes for a while and my gums are starting to irritate me, could everything be linked?

I made the mistake of having a weird sensation when ive been going to urinate and not going to the drs. shes put me on antibiotics but the high temperatures are happening 24/7 throughout the day too.

the dr didnt actually check to see whether u had an uti infection she just gave me the antibiotics straight away as ive had cloudy wee too.

could you tell me more information about this ? could it be an sti or do you get the shakes with a uti infection, thanks x

Posts: 119 | From: Scotland | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, the doctor didn't ask you to urinate in a cup and test your urine? And with things like high temps and shakes -- which I assume you said you were having -- didn't do any other kind of exam?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunkissedx
Activist
Member # 48752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunkissedx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive had the high temperature and shakes for about 2 days but a week before i felt really drowsy and i was getting crunching stomach pains where i couldnt stand.

no she didnt ask me to do anything apart from go to a gum clinic first as i was worried it was an sti, im going there tomorrow but ive started taking the antibiotics today because she thinks its most likly to be the uti infection because of the cloudy urine :s when i go for a wee it feels like i cant get enough out and theres alot of pressure

Posts: 119 | From: Scotland | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, it sounds like she did examine your urine then, no?

But I agree: getting STI tests is also important, particularly given some of your history in terms of potentially having/taking high risks.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunkissedx
Activist
Member # 48752

she didnt examine my urine. i just mentioned about the high temperature and those antibiotics are called trimethoprim.
Heather
Member # 3

I think giving you a broad spectrum antibiotic like that to start right away with your symptoms was smart, because things like high fevers, shakes and big pain suggest some kind of possibly severe infection. So, a doctor will often want to use a medicine they know will likely at least start to take care of whatever kind it is to protect your health.

But again, for sure, follow up with her other advice, including STI screenings.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

sunkissedx
Activist
Member # 48752

when you go to the gum clinic can you get a check up for everything all at once ?
Heather
Member # 3

What you want to ask them for is a full panel for all sexually transmitted infections. And yep, you should be able to get that there.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

sunkissedx
Activist
Member # 48752

im so so scared now because i have flu symptoms but ive never ever had any scabs down there im petrified i have an sti [Frown]
Heather
Member # 3

I know we've talked about this before, but I'll remind you. For most people, most of the time, with most STIs, there are NO noticeable symptoms. No scabs, no fevers, no weird discharges.

One of the reasons our STI rates around the world are so high is that people mistakenly think if they or partners have no symptoms, they must not have or be at risk of STIs. Then those same folks often don't get tested, ask partners to get tested, and don't use barrier methods as they should to reduce their risks in the ways that DO work and are sound.

That's why getting regularly tested -- for you, for partners -- is so important and why taking safer sex very seriously, including using condoms and making smart choices with partners is so important.

Basically, you've taken some risks in the past, and there was already cause for concern. It's scary to be sick at all, but I don't see any reason to be more scared now because you clearly have some kind of illness, which may or may not be sexually transmitted.

But about about you use this reality check for good? How about taking this awareness and making some changes in your life to keep your heart and body a lot more safe than you have in the past?

[ 04-13-2011, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

sunkissedx
Activist
Member # 48752

yeah i understand, i was worried before but i never took action, but because ive been so ill im thinking that theres something wrong when it might just be a uti.Im always going to be safe from now on and just get tested tomorrow. can they give you results there and then if your getting tested for everything ? not sure how it all works
Heather
Member # 3

Results from STI tests, for the most part, aren't instant, no. Depending on how fast their lab is and how many patients are waiting before you it can take, usually, anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

The exception is if they do a cheek swab test for HIV: you can usually get the result from that test same-day.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.