Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » pregnancy risk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy risk?
jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

Icon 4 posted      Profile for jfk79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend and I often engage in manual sex. If before fingering me he has semen on his hands, I wanted to know if him washing his hands with soap and water is enough to get rid of the sperm so it can't get my pregnant. Also there are times when he has precum on his hands and goes and washes that off too.

After giving him a handjob I go and wash my hands also before touching myself. Could our activities pose as a pregnancy risk?

I thought precum doesn't have sperm in it but I just read a post. http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/28/t/006542.html where Alice said that it does contain sperm, so now I'm really worried since before he fingers me he does often have precum on his hands but I go and make him wash it off.

Posts: 16 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome,

Washing with soap and water will get rid any sperm and so will thoroughly drying your hands. Pre-ejaculate does not normally contain sperm unless he has ejaculated recently and there were some remaining in his urethra. Having him urinate before activities can remove the remaining sperm. Where as Alice said that there is no way to confirm the absence of sperm without a microscope, the odds of having enough sperm to pose a realistic pregnancy risk is less than that of wining the multi state lottery. I hope this helps you. Please let us know if we can be of further help.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jfk79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay so are you saying that as a precaution before manual sex aka fingering, that soap and water are enough to make sure that my boyfriend has no sperm on his hands? Also it is safe for me to wash my hands after masturbating before touching myself, right? I'm sorry I'm just really worried that I may not be pregnant so I'm freaking myself out. Also, I found another link that an activist posted with faqs and in it she says that precum does contain sperm. I'm sooo confused! Is it just you dan who thinks that it doesn't? Or what is the overall scarleteen opinion on the subject?

I'm just worried because I want to know if I can get pregnant from his precum touching my vagina if he by mistake strokes the tip of his penis before fingering me after washing his hands

Posts: 16 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His hands would literally need to be dripping with fresh ejaculate for fingering to pose a pregnancy risk. Your real risk with this is STIs so you will want to get tested in about a month.

Precum can sometimes contain sperm if the man has not urinated since the last time he ejaculated.

Pregnancy Scared?

Why not give that article a read and then come back with any additional questions you might have?

[ 03-24-2011, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: CoatRack ]

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jfk79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read that article but I feel like the questions that I asked above are not answered in it. It doesn't specifically address the manual sex questions that I have about whether washing fingers is enough. It also says that precum doesn't contain sperm but the forum post that I linked above says that it does.
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His hands would literally need to be dripping with fresh ejaculate for fingering to pose a pregnancy risk. Your real risk with this is STIs so you will want to get tested in about a month.

Precum can sometimes contain sperm if the man has not urinated since the last time he ejaculated.

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so you know, sperm cells are very fragile things and can not survive the washing, they can not survive drying out, nor can they survive in his urethra after urinating either. As Andy said, the only realistic risks here are STIs. It is also simply a good idea to get tested no matter what just to be on the safe side.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

Okay. So do you think that I need to take a pregnancy test? Today (march 25th) is day 10 from the day the event happened(march 15th). If I need to take a test I would like you to tell me when I should take it to get the most accurate and final result. My period isn't due until april 3rd
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can take a pregnancy test if it would make you feel better. They are accurate about 14 days after a possible risk, or the first day of a missed period, whichever comes first.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

Well do you reccomend that I take one?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You haven't had a risk, but a lot of the time, seeing that negative result on a test is major stress relief. So, if you think it would help in that regard, then go ahead and test.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5722 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

Sorry just one last question. After I give him a hand job I go wash his semen off my hands with the same antibacterial soap and dry my hands. After that though I wash my vagina and wipe it. Is there any risk of pregnancy there? I know we have been talking about preejaculate here so there are very few sperm present but what if he has full ejaculate on my hands? Am I still sage from washing with soap and water?

Also other volunteers have been saying that you can test at 10 -14 days. Since karybu said 14 days, does that mean that a test at 10 days would be inaccurate?

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As was said above, you really didn't have a viable risk here. Try and relax.

A test at 10 days can be iffy. It can be accurate, but we always suggest then testing again at 14 days just to be sure - because it tests a little early and for some people HCG hormone wouldn't be in high enough quantities (which is what the test is looking for).

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3426 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

I understand. I also just wanted to know for the future that if semen does come into contact with my hands, if washing them is enough to make sure that there is no risk before I touch myself
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, washing and drying your hands is plenty.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3426 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

Sorry just some clarification, in the above post I wrote that I got my boyfriends semen on my hands after giving him a handjob. By that I meant full on fresh ejaculae, after I went straight to the bathroom to use soap and water and wash up. I dried my hands and then washed my vagina. Is there any risk there? Or would washing with soap have taken care of the loads of semen in the fresh ejaculate.
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Semen aren't going to survive soap.

So there is no risk from what you've described.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

I just read the pregnancy scared article again and it stated that "Home pregnancy tests are most likely to be accurate when taken a little later, around one week after a missed period, three weeks after a risk, or any time after." Since tomorrow will be the 15th day from sexual activity, does that mean that if I take a test tomorrow morning, that the result will be inaccurate? I'm really worried because my period isn't due until the 3rd
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Your test will be accurate, just follow the instructions on the label. We always say 10-14 days because before 10 days won’t be very reliable at all and anything after 14 days definitely will be whether it is 14 or 20 days. Here is an article that will better explain how the tests work Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests .

--------------------
Dan

EVOGIRL95
Neophyte
Member # 60725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EVOGIRL95     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so me & my boyfriend were fooling around. (Fingering,Handjobs, Ect.) We wore both naked and his penis barely poked near my vagina? We were both wet. Is there any risk? My period is a few days late & I havent been feeling to good.

--------------------
evogirl95

Posts: 1 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(EVOGIRL95, in the future, please start your own topic if you have a question. Thanks!)

Genital contact does pose a risk of pregnancy, but generally it's a very low risk. However, since your period is late now, you can go ahead and take a test and get an accurate result.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5722 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

Hi I just took a test and the result was negative, it was the 19th day since sexual activity. Can I trust the results? Or should I test again?
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Good News! Yes, you can trust the results! What I had was said that the guidelines recommend at least 10-14 days and that any time longer than the 14 days definitely was trustworthy. [Smile]

--------------------
Dan

jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

Hi so I have another worry, I was supposed to get my period on April 1st if I count from the normal 28 day cycle. However, the last period I had was after 32 days and the one before that was after 35 days. Today is the 34th day and I have no pms symptoms at all which is making me think that my period is not going to come tomorrow either. Does this mean that I've skipped a period? This has never happened to me before. Can it mean that I actually am pregnant? I'm quite concerned. I'm not experiencing any pregnancy symptoms though such as tender breasts nausea back pain etc. Do I need to take another hpt? I assumed that the one I took at 21 days was accurate.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

A 28-day cycle isn't the norm, it's just the average, and if it isn't normal for you, then there's no reason to use that as a benchmark for figuring out if your period is late or not. It sounds like your cycles tend to be a bit longer, in the 30-35 day range, so at this point your period may not even be late.

Even if it is late, though, you can be sure this isn't about pregnancy: you've not had a risk AND you've taken a test and had it come back negative. There are all sorts of reasons periods don't show on time (stress being one of them) so just give your body some time. You might also want to have a read through this just for some reassurance: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------

jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

oh I see. So since my last period came after 32 days and the one before that was 35 days, when should I expect my period to be late? Also the pregnancy test that I took (first response early result) guarenteed a result 4 days before my period is due, since I don't exactly know when it should be due, how can I make certain that it was accurate? I understand when you say that I did not have a risk but aat this point I'm too worried that maybe some sperm would have been left on my hands after washing if I didn't wash properly, right before I touched myself. And since my period still hasn't come and its already day 34, I'm already getting more paranoid so I want to be certain that its not pregnancy. I've read on so many forums where women test after two weeks and don't get a positive till 3 or 4 weeks.
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

You can trust the results. You didn't have a risk to begin with, AND the test was negative, you can trust it.

Something to know as well is you've got yourself stuck in the nasty period cycle worry... stress can cause periods to be late, which you're already stressed so the late period makes you more stressed, which causes it to be even more late ... which causes even more worrying and stress. You really need to do your best to relax. You're not pregnant.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.