Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Sperm/Semen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sperm/Semen
World1
Activist
Member # 50057

Icon 4 posted      Profile for World1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, for some reason i am scared of getting pregnant from sperm/semen being left out by my dad or anyone else. I am scared that it could be in the toilet seat, shower, toilet paper, sink handle, floor, towels, or anywhere else i touch. I just want to be really sure i dont get pregnant from that [Frown]

I am really scared and i need help a lot of help. Someone told me that the vagina is nauurally acidic and that the residue of sperm/semen would kill it so it needs the force of the penis actually being in the vagina. IS THAT TRUE?

Also, if there was sperm/semen there or anywhere. WOULD I KNOW ITS THERE?
or how can i know that its there???

PLEASE HELP ME!!! [Frown]

Posts: 76 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do not have to worry about this.

Vaginal fluids are not spermicides: they are acidic, yes, but that's why sperm is alkaline, to counteract that. What the person told you is not true.

But that doesn't mean you need to be worried about this: none of what you've mentioned are ways anyone can or does become pregnant. If you are not having direct genital contact with someone and/or direct contact between your vulva and their ejaculate, you do not need to worry about pregnancy. If what you described posed pregnancy risks, we would all be pregnant pretty much all the time. Seriously.

You can know there is ejaculate on something because it will look like someone sneezed all over it and left a big bunch of boogers, basically. And you can probably rest assured your father isn't ejaculating on door handles, toilet seats or towels. [Smile]

Here's a piece to explain this to you more: Pregnancy Scared?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
World1
Activist
Member # 50057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for World1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you you are right. It because sometimes my dad dosent wash his hands and I worry like what if he maturbated or something?

Then someone told me that even less than a drop can get someone pregnant and i worry because sometimes i think like what if he used the toilet paper and touched it...then i come to the bathroom and wipe myself with it?

Can even the residue of semen get someone pregnant? sorry i am just scared.

and what does alkaline mean? what does it do?

Posts: 76 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
World, did you read the article Heather linked you to? That explains in depth which scenarios pose a pregnancy risk and which don't.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
World1
Activist
Member # 50057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for World1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i read it. I am just really scared about this, i cant seem to take this fear out of me. I think i am just paranoid i dont know [Frown] . When ever i go to the bathroom to pee or shower...i dont feel comfortable and i check everything to make sure no semen is around. Its tiering. I know u mention that sperm/semen dies on dry surface, but what about if its on a WET surface??? like shower...and temperature.

Do you or Heather have any "tips" or "phrases" or "words" to remember or for myself to keep in mind when i need to go to the bathroom and not worry so much? (about how semen should look, texture, color, or anything else)

plz help me with this and thank you.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sperm need a very specific environment to survive. Once the ejaculate they're in dries up, they die, too. And this happens within 10-15 minutes of being exposed to air.

So, even if guys were to ejaculate all over the place, that ejaculate would only be viable for a very short amount of time. After that, it poses NO risk.

It also doesn't make any difference if we are talking about a wet or a dry surface, as plain old water isn't the right environment for sperm. It will not keep them alive any longer.

Mind, all of this should be moot, as it's simply not possible to become pregnant by touching trace amounts of ejaculate and transferring them.

Are you this anxious in other areas of your life? Or is it just a worry you have around pregnancy?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
World1
Activist
Member # 50057

Its just a worry i have around pregnancy [Frown]

Its a fear, it all happened when i was googling if it was possible to get pregnant by "dry sex" i didnt even have a boyfriend. So then other things came up...about someone posting that semen was in the toilet and blah blah. So i just got very scared since that day.

Then i asked a Doctor about it and told her EVERYTHING, she is actually one of the people who knows Scarleteen. It was Dr. Ruth...she told me other different things though...?

She said something where sperm can be alive in WARM water and that cold and extreme hot...would kill it. I am confused...because i heard its still possible to get preg if two people are having sex in water.

and 10 to 15 to dry up? does the amount matter?

how many min would a drop take to dry up?

Sorry, for so many questions...i am getting a headache [Frown]

World1
Activist
Member # 50057

nevermind, i am anxious in other areas of my life also.I dont feel that great k yea [Frown]
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Sperm won't stay alive for very long in water. It is possible to get pregnant in water if there is direct genital contact, or vaginal insertion, but not if two people are just hanging out in the same pool. And the temperature doesn't really matter here.

But if you're also feeling anxiety in other areas of your life, then it's pretty moot to go through these points one by one and explain them. It sounds more like it's time to tackle the problem at it's root. That is, to find out what's causing your anxiety and to see if you can't learn to deal with it differently.

Have you ever looked into getting some counseling for your anxiety? If not, can we help you to find counseling?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

World1
Activist
Member # 50057

Yes, i been thinking about counseling. But not in person thought, because i do not want family to know about this.

I think that ur right, about starting from the root. But i know that if this fear of sperm/semen went away or i finally understood...it would probably take around 70% of my anxiety... yep [Frown] and the other 30% is just other things.

I am actually not happy right now, it stinks...the hardest part is keeping it inside and acting as if nothing is wrong around close family &friends [Frown]

Sometimes, i just want to fall asleep and never wake up so i wont have to have this thoughts in my mind. It scary...

I think i would need a list of things of how sperm dies fast, its viable, its fragile...and remeber it in my mind, but i have tried it and i still cant do it. I hate going to the bathroom, i need help [Frown]

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

You know, if you're feeling so anxious and frightened that you're having suicidal thoughts and feeling isolated from your friends and family, it might be time to open up and ask for help.

Is there someone that you'd feel comfortable talking to? A close family member? A mentor, like a teacher or a youth group leader? Or a school counselor?

You don't have to tell them exactly what you're so anxious about, if you'd rather not, but I do think that in-person counseling is the way to go.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

World1
Activist
Member # 50057

i think i might do have close people, but i still cant tell because i know they will worry way too much about me. They have counseling in the college, but i dont wanna go there though...i just cant.

I gotta get rid of this anxiety i have over sperm/semen first and then i could tell them about my my other anxieties.

My number one thing that bothers me right now is that...sperm/semen [Frown]

I have had so many different opinions about this...Dr. Ruth told seemed to know what she was telling me, but she kept saying "i am sure...?" or "it should...?" and that seemed to me that she didnt know for sure. Are u guys well experts? sry, no offense just asking.

I am actually going to college to be a Nurse, and i am hoping that i can learn more about things...but who knows.

Heather did say i would be able to see the semen, but i just have this doubts and worries that what if i dont see it? u know >_<

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.