Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Would the pill have been effective?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would the pill have been effective?
Ysabel22
Neophyte
Member # 48361

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Ysabel22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi... I just started taking the pill on August 1st. On the pamphlet it said I only had to wait 7 days before using it as the sole type of birth control.... On the 8th day of taking the pill my boyfriend and I had sex (bad choice) and also the day after. We didn't use a condom either time. But now I am really nervous and regret my decision because I am worried that the bcp wouldn't have been effective at that time. I've heard you have to wait for one full pack or sometimes even 3? before it starts to work.... Anyway I'm really worried and just wondering how likely it is that I am pregnant and basically what I should do. I won't get my period (praying that I do) for 7 more days and it's all I can think about. When can I take a pregnancy test?

thanks!!!

Posts: 25 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At what time in your menstrual cycle did you start your pill? On day one of your period or on or before the first Sunday after it started?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ysabel22
Neophyte
Member # 48361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ysabel22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first Sunday after
Posts: 25 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. That given, so long as you took and have been taking your pills properly, it probably WAS effective by day 7. [Smile] In other words, pregnancy isn't at all likely, unless you haven't been taking pills each day on time.

If you still want to take a test, the earliest you can is as soon as your withdrawal bleed is late (if it is), or around 2 weeks after the sex you had.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ysabel22
Neophyte
Member # 48361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ysabel22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for answering so quickly! I really appreciate it. I have taken it at exactly the same time every day, without fail. I know it's not a guarantee but that's very good news. Thanks again for the info.
Ysabel22
Neophyte
Member # 48361

Hi I'm back...today is the first day of sugar pills and I haven't started my period yet.... Is that normal? Should I be worrying yet or could it start any time during the week of these pills?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is normal for your period not to start until a few days after you're into your placebo pills. For example, I always start my placebo pills on a sunday, but I don't get my period until that tuesday. So there's no need to worry [Smile]
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ysabel22
Neophyte
Member # 48361

Hi... i'm having some light brown discharge today. Could that be the start of my period?
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That could be, yes. The start of a period is sometimes a bit brownish because it is mixed with old blood.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ysabel22
Neophyte
Member # 48361

It was!! thank goodness...will be much more careful with this situation now. Just wanted to say thank you again for your support. This is an awesome website for people to turn to when they have no one else to talk to about these things.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.