Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » substantial frightening vaginal bleeding (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: substantial frightening vaginal bleeding
robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robot_on_fire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3rd post in 3 days , ENOUGH WITH THE DRAMA i say!

let me refer you to my previous post dealing with vaginal bleeding with "attempted" intercourse ..
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/022952.html

I aslo posted about my emotional issues with my boyfriend, and heather suggested not having sex for the next week at least till i was less confused. Well i solved my emotional issues faster than i thought and we wanted to have sex again .

I was sufficiently aroused , and was in the standing position when he "entered me" just and inch or so. but then i started REALLY BLEEDING. this was like heavy flow on my period. The last time i bled was 3 days ago or so. this would be my "third time having sex".
First time resulted in a pinprick of blood, 2nd time was like a table spoon , but today was really frightening .
There was even one blood clot like thing

think is i didnt bleed when he fingered me

slight soreness around the vaginal entry , PAIN when the its touched.
im thinking the bleeding is caused by "tearing" or abrasions to the vaginal entry .

THIS IS NOT MY PERIOD . Bleeding stopped almost immediately
I wanted to go down to a 24 hour clinic immediately but its pretty late and i had to go home.
Im planning to go tomorrow ASAP.

I have PCOS and am on BC. I dont know why the bleeding was this bad? was it because i had not fully healed form the previous incident? i dont know . im not feeling good about this. we are both very worried. Any idea what couls have caused this?

I was a virgin before this and he has been tested before and has not has sex in 3 years.

good part was that he was extremely supportive and told me when that "nothing could scare him away"

ease my worries PLEASE!!! i have an anxiety issue and this is NOT GOOD

[ 02-10-2010, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: robot_on_fire ]

Posts: 92 | From: las vegas | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me make sure I'm clear: you still have a lot of pain and soreness with any vulval contact now?

And the bleeding, how much are we talking about?

Per your PCOS: are you getting any treatment for that? Are you having any uterine or abdominal pain right now or lately?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robot_on_fire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no pain normally.

Yes PCOS is being treated with diane 35 BC.

pain is still there with outer vulval contact. not a lot but its there.

bleeding stopped totally after 30 sec

bleeding is enough to scare the crap out of me. lets say heavy period .

[ 02-10-2010, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: robot_on_fire ]

Posts: 92 | From: las vegas | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

the blood even dripped all over the floor and ran down my thighs, blood was of a "fresh' bright red type.

there was one "clot" like thing, which i've often experienced during my periods

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Menstrual blood doesn't actually usually clot, mostly because a) it's not a wound and b) most of menstrual flow isn't actually blood at all. What women call 'clots" are usually endometrial tissue.

When this happened, when was your last period?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

last period was about 21 days ago. im on my last pill or so before my period "withdrawal bleed"
Heather
Member # 3

So, is it possible this bleeding is an early period? Because it sounds like one strong possibility.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

maybe because im also on anti-biotics recently , so maybe so. but just before there was no "period at all" ... what do you think it most likely is?

im worried still . im going to my gyn ASAP tmr.

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

also have you heard of BCP causing excessive bleeding?
robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

why would it stop after 30 seconds? if it was my period
Heather
Member # 3

So, it's totally stopped now and has stayed stopped?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

yes totally stopped!
robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

could this be something worrying and serious? should i ask him to accompany me to the appointment?

he only entered me for like 2 seconds!!!

Heather
Member # 3

Thing is, this may or may not be related to the sex you had, or totally related, especially with your PCOS.

I don't see why he'd be needed at your appointment, unless you simply wanted him there for emotional support.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

hence im totally worried since its not related to sex!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Heather
Member # 3

So, just go to the doc, okay?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

i know. im just that worried.
Heather
Member # 3

If you're not having any uterine or abdominal pain, I don't think you need to be worried this is something huge. Really.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

there is no pain at all.. im just scared out of my mind.

I called him crying again ...

we are going to go together (for emotional support ) ASASp tomorrow. hopefully its nothing serious

Heather
Member # 3

What are you afraid of?

Again, like I said, it sounds VERY unlikely this is anything serious. It could be as minor as you two not using lube when you needed to, you not being as aroused (physically) as you needed to be, some part of residual hymen/corona getting a small tear, or you having an orgasm and your uterus shaking out some lining that was close to be expelled at this time anyway.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

no orgasm at all we were not into it for more than 2 minutes.

you are right. i didnt think it was something serious initially and i guess just thinking it might have to be something to do with my PCOS freaked me out.

I have in the past once been warded for my PCOS. (excessive bleeding)

no lube was used... and yes maybe i might not have been aroused enough .

i need to calm myself down and just get it looked it tomorrow.

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

UPDATE ON WHAT HAPPENED :

went to a gynae .

THey took a standard pregnancy test ( obviously im not pregnant ! phew)
She decided to do a speculum exam. She noted that my hymen was fully in tact.

She used the smallest size possible ,but it did hurt on first try, so she let me rest and then tried again , this time with no pain.

she said that there was one slight abrasion just inside the vagina which was most likely what caused the bleeding.
SHe said my hymen might have been in the way of penetration and him using extra force to enter might have caused that.

Then she asked if i wanted to do a pap-smear since she was "down there anyway" , i didnt mind.

But actually I dont think there is much reason for me to need a pap smear anyway ? what do you think?

i felt SO much better after. she said everything was fully healed anyway !

Heather
Member # 3

Well, I'm a bit confused, because your hymen/corona can't have been FULLY intact if a) you had intercourse, which you expressed you did and b) she did a speculum exam. A *fully* intact hymen would not allow for either of those things.

However, it may be that your hymen is still partially intact, or mostly intact, or that your hymen before all this seemed like it probably was mostly intact, but isn't now. Can you clarify for me?

Now that you are sexually active, you do want to start doing pap smears because there is reason, but you certainly didn't have to do it that day.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

she didnt say exactly how in tact it was. she just said "in tact"

i didnt mind doing the pap smear anyway since she could reach my cervix.

im worried this will cause issues when we have sex again. is it likely there will be more bleeding?

Heather
Member # 3

Again, if she could do a speculum exam, it wasn't fully intact. Ultimately, I'm going to be of limited use with some of your questions about this because I'm still confused.

To be clear, the hymen wears away gradually over time. If you have your period, if you can have intercourse and a speculum exam of any kind, it's not fully intact. And many women have partial hymens, and that really isn't any kind of issue. So, without clearer information from you about what she said and meant, it's tough to suss this out.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Just so we can be on the same page (and you can perhaps understand better why I am confused): http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/my_corona_the_anatomy_formerly_known_as_the_hymen_the_myths_that_surround_it

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

so im guessing that it isnt fully in tact but even looking in a mirror i can see some of it and understand kind what she's talking about .

i dont know exactly how its confusing you?

Heather
Member # 3

Because most women your age will have partially intact hymens where some of it is visible.

And because there being any amount of hymen doesn't give us any information about bleeding: some women with partially intact hymens will have bleeding with intercourse, others (most women, regardless of the state of their hymen), will not.

So, it sounds to me like this may have zippo to do with your hymen at all, especially since she seems to have been saying the abrasion that was present was inside your vagina.

if THAT is the case, that suggests that a) you perhaps needed lubricant you didn't use, and/or b) you needed to be more fully aroused first, and/or c) your partner was perhaps just too rough. And those things are all things you both can control. So, if the bleeding was due to those, then yes, so long as you make changes there, you likely can avoid the bleeding.

However, if it's not about that stuff, or perhaps even if it is, bleeding is just something that might happen now and then: it's never something we can promise that if someone does X, Y or Z thing, will absolutely not happen. Know what I mean?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

thats true. Im thinking the next time we do have sex im going to take TOTAL control and make sure we do it exactly when im extremely aroused and with tons of lube.

and maybe i'll even do some self masturbation as foreplay , and maybe even bring in some toys... just because i REALLY do not want a repeat incident.

im starting to get slightly hung up about intercourse and might just want to stick back with manual and oral sex for a while

but im just SO hung up about having intercourse now. i feel kinda stressed out about it : (

[ 02-11-2010, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: robot_on_fire ]

Heather
Member # 3

Well, you shouldn't need to take "total control" in a partnership, b/c that should be shared between people. And sharing control should include a partner ASKING you if you're aroused enough, if you want any given thing s/he is about to do before they do it. It should also involve you speaking up about what you want and don't, and what your body feels ready for at a given time.

Do you want to talk about your hang-ups right now? Is this just still about the bleeding?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

yeah its just mostly just about the bleeding.

it scares the crap out of both of us when it happens. I totally when into panic mode and i could see the panic in his eyes even though he tried to hold it together.

im just so worried that it would happen again and that i'll be even more upset and worried about sex in general

lol ok i guess that came out wrong. Yes of course i'll ask him about it. However somtimes i estimate wrongly how "aroused " my body is. I guess it takes more for me to get to that point, the first time we had sex i masturbated first and had an orgasm. that may have helped a lot.

Heather
Member # 3

Okay. Let's see if we can't unpack some of this. If the way I'm writing sounds a bit basic, forgive me, but I just want to try and be clear.

Our bodies involve various fluids: sweat, tears, saliva, lymph, blood, ejaculate, lubrication, et cetera.

When we become sexually intimate with someone, on top of sharing our skin with them, or certain parts of our bodies, fluids are often exposed and shared (or protected against fluid-sharing with condoms or other barriers for safety).

Vaginal bleeding is no less acceptable a body fluid that may be present and seen by all than male ejaculate is. It's just as normal, and it does make an appearance with sex sometimes, be that with menstrual periods or minor injuries.

Do you feel like you both can accept that?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

yes we can accept that, just not at the amount there was ...
plus he's always quite concerned if there's any vaginal bleeding (even if its slight) if its not my period .

that was a lot , like a profuse amount. its was just horrific, i guess time will heal my concerns and once we eventually have sex again properly without any incidents i'll b completely fine.

Heather
Member # 3

So, can you tell him that sometimes bleeding DOES occur during sex with partners that is not a period, and that while sometimes it is cause for big concern, at other times it is not?

Initially, you'd said it was like bleeding from a heavy period, no? If so, that's really not a profuse amount. Certainly, when that's not a period it suggests an injury, but I'd still not use "horrific" to describe an incident that wasn't painful, where no one purposefully harmed anyone else, where you didn't have to go to the ER, etc.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

thats true. i ned to just calm down, i always tend to think myself into worrying or unnecessary anxiety .

yeah i guess i have to reassure him more. But sometime when he fingers me there is a tiny amount of blood as well. most likely from his nails or being too rough...though it never hurts.

thanks so much for all your help over the last few days! : D
really you eased my concerns a lot. you are a life saver, and i really appreciate what you do and your invaluable site.

I think for now its best i just stop thinking about the matter.
I'll let you know when i have other concerns but i hope this one will be laid to rest.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.