Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Could I be pregnant even though I was so careful?? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Could I be pregnant even though I was so careful??
sarahmiller1989
Activist
Member # 44781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahmiller1989     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I am worried because I'm not okay with having sex but that's fixed now since we won't be having sex. I guess maybe I don't understand pregnancy either. I know the odds are against me of getting pregnant since I did everything I could to prevent it. I'm not sure why I can't convince myself that I'm not pregnant. I know a lot of other girls have the same problem. I guess I just have like an extreme fear of getting pregnant. Every little twinge in my body makes me think I could be pregnant.

The last time I had a scare, I had my withdrawal bleeds for 4 months and I was still scared. I had like 6-7 negative tests and yet I still wasn't convinced I wasn't pregnant. Just to make sure, pregnancy tests are accurate a month after the incident, correct? Since today is the 14th and my last incident that could pose a pregnancy risk was Jan 15 ,if I were to be pregnant, I would be a month along, right?

Posts: 48 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You use a birth control pill. A condom was also used.

If both were used perfectly, that means you have a .01% risk of getting pregnant in the course of one year of doing both, and if both were only used typically, that's still only a 1.2% risk in one year. With withdrawal added on top of that, it's safe to say that you're at a near-impossible risk of becoming pregnant.

Pregnancy tests are accurate the WHOLE TIME a woman is actually pregnant, and can be accurate as early as two weeks after a risk.

If 1/15 was your last risk, given that pregnancy is not instance, had you become pregnant (which it's pretty clear you didn't), you'd be about three weeks pregnant. FYI, very few women have any symptoms of pregnancy that early on besides a missed period. In three weeks, your body really hasn't changed at all with a pregnancy in any noticeable way.

I think it's really important to recognize that it's normal to be deeply afraid of becoming pregnant if that is something you really, really can't handle or don't think you can. I agree that a lot of other people feel that same way, however, if and when we feel that way, the best thing we can usually do is just to take NO risk of that at all by not having the kinds of sex which can present any risk of pregnancy. especially if even using three methods of contraception still doesn't make us feel relaxed.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahmiller1989
Activist
Member # 44781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahmiller1989     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for all the information you have given me. It really helps with my fears.

If pregnancy tests are accurate when a woman is pregnant then why do I always hear stories of women becoming pregnant and get millions of negative pregnancy tests even though they were, in fact, pregnant? Is all of this just false information?

I guess it's safe to say I'm definitely not pregnant. But I really, really don't understand why I can't get that through my head. Why is it so hard for me to convince myself I'm not pregnant even when all of this information is in front of me? Do other girls feel the same way as I do?

I also want to thank you so much for this website! It has helped me so much and I've learned so much about myself and about sex. Other websites just say things to scare girls into not having sex. But not you guys. And I really appreciate you all.

Posts: 48 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If pregnancy tests are accurate when a woman is pregnant then why do I always hear stories of women becoming pregnant and get millions of negative pregnancy tests even though they were, in fact, pregnant? Is all of this just false information?
It's complicated.

First, pregnancy tests are not 100% effective, though they most often give an inaccurate result due to user error, like women not following the directions properly or taking them too soon. People don't use all kinds of things in life properly, and pregnancy tests are no exception.

You have to also bear in mind that pregnancy, and the circumstances of pregnancies, are often very complex. Many women are not fully supported in pregnancies or the circumstances of their pregnancies, so either feel they can't be honest, or feel the need to tell untruths about their pregnancies in order to be supported.

quote:
Why is it so hard for me to convince myself I'm not pregnant even when all of this information is in front of me? Do other girls feel the same way as I do?
Again, I can't give you definitive answer on that because there are many reasons someone may be feeling the way you do. You're going to be the best person to try and figure that out, but it sounds like you have some ideas.

Do many other women or girls feel this way? I'd not say the majority of women can't let go of the notion they are pregnant after negative tests, or when pregnancy was highly unlikely at all, no. But I'd say plenty have that happen sometimes, especially if someone doesn't really understand pregnancy or birth control and how it all works, if a pregnancy would really derail someone's life, if someone is just in a really bad headspace or if a person suffers from anxiety or other mental health issues in general.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahmiller1989
Activist
Member # 44781

Thank you SO much for everything!
Heather
Member # 3

You're very welcome. [Smile]

Do make an appointment to see a healthcare provider, okay? In the case these symptoms are from some kind of infection, you don't want to let that go untreated.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

sarahmiller1989
Activist
Member # 44781

Am I able to go to a doctor without insurance? I'm only 17; turning 18 in a month.
Heather
Member # 3

You are, you'd just need to pay for it yourself.

But Planned Parenthood has sliding scale fees, and not only could they give you a test, they'd also be good people to talk with about these concerns.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.