Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Ultrasound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ultrasound
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I was supposed to get my first ultrasound in about 2 weeks but my symptoms got alot worse. Pelvic pain, vaginal bleeding, bleeding during bowel movements.. It was getting to the point where I had sharp pains in my left side all the time so I went to ER and they gave me an emergency ultrasound. The thing is, the ultrasound came back with nothing. No cysts, no anything that looks out of the normal. I asked the doctor if maybe it was endometriosis because I know you can't detect that from an ultrasound and he said it's highly unlikely.. I can't remember why.. I mean I have no family history for any of this stuff... I just have NO idea what it could be. I know it's not normal to feel like this, I know it's not normal to bleed as much as I do after sex, or for it to hurt.. It all came out of left field and I don't know what to do now that I've had two doctors tell me they dunno what's wrong because they can't see anything.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? The doctor told me to wait awhile and if the pain persists then I get to have the vaginal ultrasound where they stick some probe thing up you. I'm fine with that I just want to know what's going on!!!

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you've been tested for all STIs already?

A transvaginal ultrasound, by the way, would certainly give a much clearer picture than an abdominal one, so I'm not sure I understand why your doctors haven't just done that if you've now seen two.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He said that's the next step but he told me to wait until I'm in alot of pain before I do that? He said he doesn't want to take things too far because I'm young? And he doesnt think anything is seriously wrong. But I know my body so I beg to disagree.. And yes my STI tests all came back negative, as well as pregnancy. And now the ultrasound shows nothing so I guess the next step is transvaginal and hopefully that shows something..
Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very odd response. Young women can have transvaginal ultrasounds, and that doesn't pose any more risks to your health than any other kind of ultrasound.

Is this an OB/GYN you're seeing, or only a general ER doc or general physician?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.