Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » stopping pill mid-cycle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stopping pill mid-cycle
labrat
Neophyte
Member # 44516

Icon 11 posted      Profile for labrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will be the fourth pill that my doctor has prescribed me since February. I have been experiencing spotting on the pill. First took Ortho-Cycle, bled almost whole month for three cycles. Then took Nordette. Had horrible intestinal cramps and spotted mid-cycle for five months. Started Desogen, spotted first month mid-cycle and again just before placebo pills. Doctor told me if it started again during second month to call her. Well, started spotting Friday. Had intercourse over the weekend. Called doctor Monday and she told me to stop taking that pill. Let body start period, and start taking new pill (Ovcon-35) when period started or on Sunday. I'm not concerned with any risk of pregnancy AFTER stopping pill, as I won't be seeing my significant other for a few weeks at least. But, I am worried about the intercourse over the weekend before I stopped taking pill. I had taken the full month of Desogen including 7 placebo pills. Started new pack and taken 11 days when doctor told me to stop. She says I would be protected from pregnancy from sex prior to stopping pill, but I kind of feel like a lab rat with all the switching of pills and none of them working, so I'm looking for a second opinion. I know from this point onward I need backup for at least a month, but should I be worried about sex the day prior to stopping the pill? [Confused]
Posts: 4 | From: GA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you don't need to worry about the sex that you had before you stopped the pill.

How do you feel about taking the pill? Do you think that, aside from the bleeding, it is a good option for yo? Do you want to continue to experiment with the pill? If you feel like you're done with the pill and want to explore your other options, that's definitely something we can help you do. If you're interested, why not start with this article:
Birth Control Bingo!

[ 10-28-2009, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
labrat
Neophyte
Member # 44516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for labrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm pretty satisfied with it. I can live with the occasional spotting as long as I know it's working in the pregnancy prevention department. I am about 99% sure that I am finished having kids, but I'm not quite ready to make that permanent decision. I have been thinking about the implants, but I really don't know that much about them, and I'm afraid that if the hormones in the pill are giving me side effects, what would that do having them implanted in my arm?
Posts: 4 | From: GA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The body reacts differently to different types/combinations of hormones. So, the implant might be just the thing that works for you. But you're right: if you've been having a lot of side-effects, switching to a methods that's not as easily reversible might not be such a good idea.

If you want to stick with hormonal birth control but want to use something other than the pill, you can think about giving the ring a try: that has a lower dosage, so you may experience fewer side-effects with that.

If you'd be interested in moving away from hormonal methods, you could look into barrier methods.

And if you're happy with the pill aside from the spotting, that's cool to: Just making sure you know that you have options. [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
labrat
Neophyte
Member # 44516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for labrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much. This is a wonderful resource. We also use condoms in addition to the pill. Just call me paranoid I guess.....LOL! The pill is really like my back-up in case the condom fails. That being the case, I think I'll continue to experiment with the hormonal methods until I either exhaust my options or find one that works. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.