Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » STI concern

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STI concern
member354
Neophyte
Member # 44414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for member354     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had sex with a new partner and I used protection, but I understand that I can still get STD's like herpes. I'm super concerned because it's really itchy after 2 days and there's little red bumps. (not open sores)

I was hoping this was from shaving down there with a slightly old razor or a allergic reaction to the condom. Is this possible? Can I get this tested if it happened less than a week ago and there's no sores yet?

Posts: 4 | From: usa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll have to wait at least two or three more weeks to get tested, and then you'll want to get tested again in six months.

Though, I'd agree with you that the itchiness and bumps are quite likely from shaving with a not sharp razor. I'd try not to worry to much, ask this partner about their last STI test and make an appointment to get tested yourself soon.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
member354
Neophyte
Member # 44414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for member354     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, more anticipation =(

The itchiness is in the labia minora area and it's pretty intense at the moment. I read that it is another sign and I've never gotten razor burn there. Could it be some other irritation? Should I be more worried? Is there anything I can do to soothe it?

Thank you in advanced.

Posts: 4 | From: usa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That itchiness and the bumps can also be from a yeast infection. Since you're having symptoms now, and are uncomfortable, why don't you just go ahead and see if you can't get in to see your sexual healthcare provider?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
member354
Neophyte
Member # 44414

The red bumps seem to be fading and the itchiness is a little better. I hope this is a good sign, but I will still get checked in a couple weeks.

Also, if it may be a yeast infection should I get a test from a drug store? And is the treatment over the counter? If the itchiness stops should I not worry about a yeast infection?

Thank you for your helpfulness.

member354
Neophyte
Member # 44414

bump.

The red bumps have completely disappeared and the itchiness is very minimal if any. Is this a good sign? Should I still worry about a yeast infection or anything else? I will still get tested for std's next week.

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry we missed this.

You should have a doctor tell you whether or not it's a yeast infection before using over the counter treatments for it. Just ask when you go in for your testing if the clinic has someone you can see soon.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.