Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Cistitis, Heavy Watery Discharge and now Missing Period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cistitis, Heavy Watery Discharge and now Missing Period
neoed23
Activist
Member # 36702

Icon 4 posted      Profile for neoed23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi There,

The last day of my girlfriends period last month we had sex a handful of times. I posted with the fact she seemed to be having some UTI problems, which since have cleared up. The day after we had sex, she experienced a slight pink tint in her discharge, followed by what seemed to be a very large discharge of almost just water.

Since then this week she has had all her usual PMS, including cramping some days, yet now she is a day late and has no complaints.

Can cistitis cause a period to be late. And what could the discharge be?

I'm certain we had safe sex. We didn't have slips of breaks. The only thing we noticed was a rather white stringy bit of fluid after the third and final time of intercourse after i had come. It was too much and too thick to be come, but was white. Possibly lube? But i think it's scaring us. It never touched her vagina. OR at least we don't think.

Sorry this is such a huge essay. We're just both worried obviously.

Thanks

Posts: 82 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Periods showing up a day late is really not that unusual - everyone's cycle fluctuates a bit and a day early or late is really not anything to be concerned about. I don't see that you've had any significant pregnancy risks, either, since it sounds like you've been using condoms correctly and consistently. (It's likely that the white fluid you noticed was lube and/or her vaginal discharge.)

Did she get in to see a health care provider about the discharge and other symptoms she was experiencing? If not, she really needs to do that - they'd also be the best person to ask about a late period if she's concerned.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neoed23
Activist
Member # 36702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for neoed23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
she didn't, but she brought medication in sachet form for cistitis and it cleared up within about four days. So we weren't further concerned. I will perhaps take her to the doctor this saturday then, and have her checked over. =]

Thank you

Posts: 82 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear, if what she bought was over-the-counter, what she probably had was an analgesic to help with the SYMPTOMS of a UTI. Almost always, to treat a UTI -- to make the infection itself, not just the symptoms go away -- is a round of antibiotics.

So, for now, and for any next times, you should let her know that when she has or thinks she has a UTI, she wants to get to her doctor/a GUM clinic to get actual treatment. That not only assures she'll feel better faster, but that the infection will actually get treated and prevent it getting worse or spreading to her bladder or kidneys.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neoed23
Activist
Member # 36702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for neoed23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I know this is perhaps going back over things. She is still not starting. We took a test yesterday (5 days of being late) and it said not pregnant. This is a long enough time for it to be accurate isn't it?

What should we do now we know she isn't and that she's still missing her period?

Thanks

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did she still not yet go to the doctor?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.