Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » I took plan B and had early period...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I took plan B and had early period...
tila
Neophyte
Member # 44235

Icon 9 posted      Profile for tila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, im going to try to be as concise as possible so there is no confusions. Thank you, whoever you are, for helping me out.

so my last period started on the 10th of September. It usually is heavy first 2 days and is light for the next 3 days.

I had just gone off the pill about 2 months ago before this period, which i initially took so that i wouldn't get bad cramps (i used to puke)
i went off of it to see whether cramps would come back (did but very mild).

and on the night of the 19th (9 days after beginning of last period) I may have had sex with a guy - not rape, dont worry,i kind of know the guy, and i just have memory blackout. So i don't know how long the sex lasted, and whether i started bleeding right away or not. I know i had sex because I bled ALOT and remember that. Is that normal? it was so much blood that i bled all over the washroom, and had blood runing down my legs and a tampon couldnt stop it and i washed myself in the bath tub at home till it kind of stopped and wore a pad afterwards. I spotted for a couple days.

i want to know a) if my bleeding sounds normal. I made an appt with a doctor, so dont worry.

and 2nd part is
i took plan B just in case, first pill 12hrs after sex, and second pill 12hrs after the first pill.

and a week later (26th) i started spotting, which turned out to be a period-like one, cuz it was 5 days long, though blood came more in bursts and felt a bit different than usual periods. This period was 2 weeks earlier than expected.

Now, should i expect a period on the 8th of october (whcih i would have had if no sex and no plan b) or should i count 4 weeks from this one that was induced by plan b?

and what are my chances of pregnancy?
i think slim, but i dont know.
when can i test for pregnancy?
i bought the early response kind when i bought my plan B pills.

please let me know if the period i had after plan B was a real period meaning not pregnant?
i kind of bled on the day that i should have ovulated (according to ovulation charts)

Posts: 8 | From: canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tila
Neophyte
Member # 44235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh just to add to my post, i want to point out that that sex was the first sex i have ever had...
Posts: 8 | From: canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not say that level of bleeding sounds typical for a consensual (read: non-violent) incident of sex, no, so I'm glad you'll be seeing your doctor.

We can't say when you should expect a period, both because of the Plan B and because you started and stopped the pill. It would not be at all unusual for you to find you don't get your period when you're expecting it, but you may, too. And Plan B can cause some unexplained or unexpected bleeding, so now, given the dates, I'd not figure that was your period.

Plan B is 75 - 89% effective, so if that was the only method used, your risk will be anywhere from 15 - 11%. You can test for pregnancy either when your period is missed, or when it's been two weeks since your risk, whichever comes first. You'll also want to get a new STI screening in the next month or so, too.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tila
Neophyte
Member # 44235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to ask if it would be possible for me to use a pregnancy test on the 10th, which is my expected day for my next period whether it comes or not, since i already had a perid-ish thing that was caused by plan B.
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since your risk was on the 19th, it has already been more than ten days. You can take a pregnancy test now and expect an accurate result.

Don't be surprised if your period does not arrive on time--Plan B often throws your system out of whack.

When are you getting in to see the doctor?

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tila
Neophyte
Member # 44235

the earliest that i could see a doctor was the 16th so i have an appointment for the 16th. I think that I am going to get a pap test just to make sure, and ask regarding the bleeding and just be reassured.
tila
Neophyte
Member # 44235

I made an appointment and will be seeing the doctor on the 16th.

I am going to get a pap test (i think-) and will ask about the excessive bleeding for reassurance.

When can I (or when is recommended) that I go on my birth control? I went off of it as I explained above during the summer, but feel like I should just go back on it.

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tila,

That's something to ask your doctor during your visit. They may want you to wait until they've figured out what's up with your body (and may recommend you refrain from sexual activities for a while as well).

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's something you'd want to discuss with your doctor when you go on the 16th. If you start taking it on the first day of your period, or the Sunday following the first day, it is likely it will be fully effective as long as you take it perfectly. Generally, though, you can start the pill anytime in your cycle as long as you use back up, like condoms, for the first entire cycle. We actually recommend using back up for the first cycle no matter when you start taking it.

Also, there are other forms of birth control out there, if you weren't thrilled with the pill. Take a walk through here to get an idea: Birth Control Bingo!.

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.