Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Low-dose pills and EC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Low-dose pills and EC
GRestivo
Neophyte
Member # 44218

Icon 4 posted      Profile for GRestivo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there.

I am brazilian and my english is not perfect, but i hope you can understand me...

My girlfriend started using a low-dose birth control pill this month called DIANE 35 (i dont know if its available in the US). Under the gynecologist's recommendation, she started taking the pills on the third day of bleeding.

Nine days later, we had sex two times (at 6am and 5pm) and on both the condom broke. As we didn't know if the pills were working or not (because it was the first month and we didnt started taking them on the first day of bleeding), we decided to take the morning after pill.

She took a levonorgestrel pill at 5:30 pm, at the same day that we had had sex.

I think that we were not at her fertile period, and she didnt had any problems with the birth control pills on that first month (like vomiting or diarrhea)...

Are we safe or there is some pregnancy risk yet?

She took the last pill last friday (sept 25)... When will the next menstruation come?

thx in advance,

Gustavo Restivo

Posts: 12 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even with using the pill alone, so long as she took it properly those first nine days and CONTINUES to take it properly this cycle, she would not be likely to have a pregnancy risk. Adding Plan B makes it very unlikely.

Given she's just started the pill AND took Plan B, we can't say if her withdrawal bleed will happen when she takes her placebo pills or not. It often takes women's bodies a couple cycles of the pill to get used to it and Plan B can also sometimes create some unexplained bleeding and/or knock cycles a bit out of whack.

Do you want to talk about how you're using condoms so we can help you prevent future breaks?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.