Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » concern for a friend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: concern for a friend
cutie2626
Activist
Member # 41656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cutie2626     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
everytime my friend has sex she freaks out ( even tho she uses a condom) and takes plan b. shes must of taken it about 5 or 6 times within 9 months or so. how bad is this for her health and what possible effects can occur from her doing this

--------------------
<3

Posts: 53 | From: usa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey cutie,

It's very kind of you to care for your friend so much, and I'm sorry to hear she's been freaking out so much. (Also, I'm sorry you had to wait so long on a reply here!)

I'm glad to see she's been (always?) using a condom because it's, hands down, the absolute best way to protect oneself against pregnancy AND STIs.

While condoms are extremely effective, there is the very small percentage of a chance that they could fail even when used perfectly. However, if it doesn't break, she should really be fine and not NEED emergency contraception. A better alternative would be to back up her birth control by using a method like condom and something like birth control pills or one of the many, many hormonal and/or barrier methods of birth control.

You're right: Taking so many doses of Plan B so often is not good because it puts huge amounts of hormones in your body and that's not something you want to do in the first place, only if necessary, and certainly not something you'd want on a regular basis. (Especially considering the other, much lower dose options!!) I can't speak to the exact medical effects but I do know that it will affect her menstrual cycle and hormone levels in her body.

In addition to physical aspects, I can imagine what havoc this is wrecking on her mental well-being. It sounds like it could even be a self-destructive behavior, like inflicting pain on oneself versus taking over the reigns of one's sexual life.

It's ultimately her decision but having the support and encouragement of a friend is very good. Have you talked to her about this before? Would you or she like some articles on this topic, like about other birth control options or about managing anxiety?

Thanks again for caring so much; you sound like a very kind friend. [Smile]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.