Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » orangey yellow discharge? WORRIED

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: orangey yellow discharge? WORRIED
omgsarah214
Neophyte
Member # 44073

Icon 4 posted      Profile for omgsarah214     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have been hearing all these stories about how women didnt know they were pregnant and its making me REALLY worried... i have never had sex or had anything you guys would call a risk (ive been reading around) and ive had two periods since the last time i did anything sexual. the first one was a little late (1 or 2 days) because of stress probly and then the one i just had was slightly shorter than usual and maybe lighter? idk, it might just be my paranoia talking or the fact that im using a new painkiller and im not experiencing my usual cramps... but on my last period on the second day i used two super tampons and leaked... but im scared i could still be pregnant even though my periods came around the time they should.

and then today (the day after my period ended) i had some orangey yellow discharge in my underwear and i googled it and got a ton of pregnancy answers... idk if its just leftover blood (which is normally brown for me) or if its something else. i had a steroid shot and im on topical steroids and oral antihistamines if that helps. oh and ive been kind of nauseated lately, but i have been anxious about stuff and have had allergies. ive not vomited any though so idk if its morning sickness... ive not gained any weight either...

PLEASE help... could i be pregnant? and whats with this discharge?! does it mean im pregnant?

Posts: 3 | From: tennesee | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing I'd suggest is looking at the information for the medications you have been taking to see if they mention anything about color in urine or discharges as a side effect.

On the pregnancy stuff and googling, I can google things like migraines, feeling bloated, being hungry, having breasts and a uterus -- nearly anything I as a woman can feel and get a lot of results on pregnancy. It's just not very valuable to just google a single symptom like this.

Change in color with discharge is NOT something generally linked to pregnancy. When it's not just about where you're at in your fertility cycle, and not about something like a medication side effect, if anything, it's more likely to be about infection or a vaginal imbalance than pregnancy (especially when you've had no risk of pregnancy).

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
omgsarah214
Neophyte
Member # 44073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for omgsarah214     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks, heather. [Smile] i read my medication and it didnt say anything about changes in color... so maybe its just something to do with a vaginal imbalance?

what do you think about having periods and still being pregnant? if, like some say, i had my period while i was pregnant, would i know? or would it be similar enough to a period (same time, flow, cramping as a normal period) that it could go unnoticed? it used to be a comfort to get my period, proof that i wasnt pregnant... now theres no sure way to know if im safe or not. =/ im scared that if i am, by the time i find out, i will only have delivering the baby as an option... makes me really nervous

Posts: 3 | From: tennesee | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While some women experience what is called decidual bleeding -- bleeding through pregnancy that can sometimes resemble a period, though it rarely is accompanied by the same symptoms as a period, like cramping -- for MOST women, the first sign of pregnancy is a missed period. For real.

This idea some folks seem to be having lately that there are all these women who are pregnant for months and months without knowing is not based in reality. Having your period -- it comes when you expect it, it looks and feels similar each time -- IS a reliable way to know you are not pregnant for the vast majority of women.

As well, while some women are pregnant for months with no classic symptoms at all -- missing periods, getting nauseated, feeling tired, etc. -- that's also the exception, not the rule. Most women WILL feel different when pregnant within a few months.

But one thing you can do to help yourself chill is to chart your periods. If you keep good track of them, and the symptoms that accompany them, it's a lot easier to know when to expect them and to chill out about this stuff.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
omgsarah214
Neophyte
Member # 44073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for omgsarah214     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that makes me feel a lotttt better, thanks [Smile]

generally i have sore breasts and some cramping before my period, then pretty bad cramps while im on my period. the last period i had, i had all those symptoms... but i took naproxyn for the cramps so i guess it kind of threw me off. if i was having decidual bleeding, i wouldnt have normal period symptoms? and would it be the same moderate/heavy flow as my normal period?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.