Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Odour

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Odour
LovinLife
Activist
Member # 39347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovinLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just tonight I noticed there is an odour from my vagina that smells like stale blood. I just finished my period yesterday and I started bleeding again tonight. I'm worried and not too sure what this smell could be from, please help.
Posts: 57 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovinLife
Activist
Member # 39347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovinLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry to post again so quick, had to add that i have slight swelling around my vaginal opening. I'm also concerned about a possible lost tampon?

--------------------
In Love

Posts: 57 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't lose tampons in the vagina. The vaginal canal ends at the cervix, which has an opening smaller than most freckles. And when women are unaroused, the cervix is usually only a couple inches from the vaginal opening.

If you think you didn't take your tampon out, sit down on the toilet and slide your finger back into the vagina. If you don't feel a tampon as far back as your fingers go, you can be sure a tampon isn't in there.

That smell might just be a scent that is post-menstrual. It's not unusual for their to be a bit of a metallic scent during or after a period, and that often can be more so with tampon users.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67075 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A tampon that has been up there that long is something that *really* needs to come out ASAP.

Can you get your fingers up your vagina far enough to touch it? If not, do you have a family member/partner who could try?

If the answer to both of those is no, then I'd suggest you go to a doctor (or even emergency room) either tonight or first thing in the morning.

It sounds like you're working on an infection that really should get treated as soon as possible, anyways, so going to the doctor tomorrow should happen regardless of whether or not you can get the tampon out yourself.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovinLife
Activist
Member # 39347

The thing is, I'm pretty sure there isn't a tampon in there. I can feel my cervix and around it. I feel some mild swelling i think on my g-spot buut that's about it. Could the stale blood smell just be from my period?? It's not as bad now as it was earlier.

--------------------
In Love

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stale blood smell could very well be from your period. Just keep an eye on that and the swelling over the next few days, and if it gets worse, head to your doctor to get it checked out.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovinLife
Activist
Member # 39347

thank you so much. I'm not feeling any other symptoms like cramps or abdominal pain that other websites have said would be associated with a lost tampon. My boyfriend and I had sex right at the end of my period. There was a little bit of blood before we started and then absolutely none by the time we were done. However, I did get some slight damage to my vagina, just a little tearing and friction pains, could this also contribute to the smell?

--------------------
In Love

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly, especially if you were bleeding as a result of those small tears. Again, just keep an eye on it, and abstain from sex until you don't have any more symptoms.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovinLife
Activist
Member # 39347

Thank you so much. One more question, sorry to bug you, but I was wondering, could the smell also be from my boyfriend "cumming" in me?

--------------------
In Love

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Semen will often change the smell of the vagina for a couple to a few days, actually. It pretty markedly alters the environment of the vagina.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67075 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovinLife
Activist
Member # 39347

Thank you so so so much. I appreciate all of your help [Smile]

--------------------
In Love

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.