Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Obtaining Plan B ASAP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Obtaining Plan B ASAP
LadyLuck77
Activist
Member # 31504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLuck77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I had unprotected sex last night with my boyfriend and did not (myself) use any form of birth control -- and he ejaculated in me. Stupid, I know. A little too much alcohol. [Frown]

He says he had a vasectomy two years ago, but never got tested afterwards to make sure his sperm wasn't still viable.

So at any rate, I'm still nervous. I'm in Oklahoma and have NO idea where to obtain Plan B, because I've never had to use it. Is it possible to get it on a Sunday? If so, where? And if I can't take it today, how much does my chance of pregnancy increase if I am forced to take it tomorrow?

Thank you so much for your help!

Posts: 71 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to tell you that I find it a bit odd to hear someone saying they had a vasectomy that long ago who has been waling around for two years mnot knowing if it took. Just seems odd to have that kind of surgery without verifying it. All the same, know that if he did, in fact, have a vasectomy, even a couple months is usually more than long enough for the body to cycle through and for a man to then be sterile. A follow-up check is always advised, but most vasectomies do take, overwhelmingly.

However, given that what he's saying about it sounds a bit off, I do think Plan B is a sound idea.

Given your age, you can get Plan B over the counter at pharmacies. So, you should be able to walk into any pharmacy and simply ask for it. Ideally, you want to take it as soon as possible, as it is more effective the sooner it is used, but it can still be effective up to 120 hours after a risk. It's just more effective taken within 72 hours, and most effective taken within 24.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyLuck77
Activist
Member # 31504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLuck77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Heather.

I am going to get Plan B in a few minutes.

I agree that it is a little odd that he never followed up with his vasectomy. He was married at the time, very seldom had sex (but knew he wanted no more children), and traveled quite a bit for work, so he said that he just simply never took the time. .... I dunno. I worry too much to not be pro-active about getting Plan B, though.

Thanks for the insight about where to obtain it.

One more question: I am currently treating BV with acidophilus and might try the garlic approach, as recommended by a volunteer on this site. Do you know if taking Plan B will disrupt any progress of the BV treatment? Obviously the larger concern would be an unwanted pregnancy, but I didn't know if you could tell me what would happen or not.

Thank you!

Posts: 71 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'd first make sure you even have BV in the first place, and not another kind of infection. Plus, in another post, you seem to suggest a possible infection for weeks, which means even if it is BV, you may be well-past the DIY stage.

So, in other words, I feel like I can't answer that question well, since we don't even know if a) this is BV or b) DIY treatments will work for you at all at this point.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.