Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Vaginal Burning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vaginal Burning
Xoxo88xo88
Neophyte
Member # 37460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xoxo88xo88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this isn't the biggest emergency in the world but I'm still pretty crazily freaked out right now.

So last night I had some trouble falling asleep because my vagina felt a little odd and sort of itched but it wasn't too bad and it didn't bother me too much.

And that day it had been very hot and I'd been exercising (biking) and I'd gone swimming in a pretty dirty ocean so I figured it was just irritation or something..?

then all today I didn't notice a thing until I got into bed and then I think without the distractions of the day I noticed how badly my vagina is burning and itching! I took a mirror and looked down there and it all looks normal (except possibly a little red or swollen?) but there are no lumps or suspicious bumps.

I am a pretty big hypochondriac/worrier but I wasn't able to sleep more than an hour or two last night. it took me hours and hours to fall asleep and then I woke up a few later. I can't be sure if it's the feeling or the worrying but it's most likely a combo

and I just don't know what to do! And I'm really really scared. I just started to have sex with my boyfriend about 3 weeks ago. but we are both each-others first time sexual partners and he wore a condom used correctly each time and we used lubrication and it was a good experience. But He had been on vacation for about 5 days before the day when I initially started to notice this. But then yesterday he came and I had sort of forgotten about it (Stupid I know) and we proceeded to have intercourse but that didn't hurt or feel different than normal.

And actually my partner did have an oral sex experience with another partner about 6 months ago and they didn't use protection but there had been no symptoms and I'm pretty sure the girl has had none either...

It doesn't hurt to urinate but I sort of feel like i have to pee more than usual (but this again could be the worrying...) and my vagina feels extremely wet but with a very thin discharge which is more like water than anything else. My vagina also just generally feels very hot and irritated. And the feeling is sort of internal...like the burning feels on the inside of my vaginal canal. And it's definitely worse than it was yesterday (but also I'm sure this has been making me pee and wipe my vagina more often which has probably just irritated it more)

But basically I'm just soooo scared and I don't know what to do. I want to go to the Dr. but I know if I ask my mom to go she will ask why and be super suspicious and just assume me and my boyfriend are having sex (which she does not approve of). I tried to do some research and a common cause of vaginal itching is things like yeast infections? and those aren't always sexually transmitted right? I could have gotten an infection from somewhere else? (dirty water, I wore a wet bathing suit around for a while...) So I could tell her it was something like that as an excuse to go to the doctor and at-least see what was wrong...help!

Posts: 36 | From: US | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds to me like you might have a UTI - running around in a wet bathing suit can definitely cause that, and frequent urination and a burning sensation are symptoms of a UTI. Those can be treated easily, but if left alone they can also turn serious, so you'll want to just make an appointment to get that checked out.

However, you'll also want to keep in mind that unprotected oral sex CAN transmit STIs, and that some STIs are asymptomatic, meaning that you do not experience any symptoms. So it would be a great idea for both you and your boyfriend to get tested.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xoxo88xo88
Neophyte
Member # 37460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xoxo88xo88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply!

But I just have NO idea how to bring this up with my mom. Our level of communication is about zero and just the thought of having to mention anything relating to my private regions makes me cringe.

Will a visit to the family pediatrician suffice?
in yearly checkups she doesn't even look down my pants or check out my privates at all...

I wish I could just have gynecologist visits but my mom would not really be down with that and I don't think either of my sisters get them (and they are both older)

Posts: 36 | From: US | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because you should get into a doctor ASAP, a visit to the pediatrician should be enough to treat a UTI. They're super common, so a GP or pediatrician should be able to take care of that.

BUT you should still get in for STI testing, which your pediatrician is unlikely to do. Is there a clinic like a planned parenthood nearby? They do gyn exams and STI testing.

You can also just say "Mom, I think that dirty water has gotten to me, and it burns when I pee. Can you take me to a doctor?" If she's a reasonable parent at all, she'll put your health in front of any judgments she might have.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xoxo88xo88
Neophyte
Member # 37460

Thank you Atm1! I took your advice and I told my mom just that and she as well assumed it is a UTI and she says she doesn't think we should even bother with a Dr appointment- but instead just buy some over the counter meds.

but I'm not so sure its one....It doesn't burn when I pee- It burns all the time? And urination is painless. The pain also feels like its coming from inside/closer to my vagina not near my urethra. And there is still lots and lots of discharge (sorry to be gross but I'm soaking through my underwear in a few hours but its not thick or colored- its still just like watery)

How does she know its not something like a yeast infection?

I stopped into a CVS today and saw there were home tests one can buy for UTI's and yeast infections. Are those generally pretty reliable?

Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond guys! I am worrying myself to death. I told my boyfriend and he just said he thinks its from having rougher sex but it started the night before that (even though it was very mild then)

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't treat a UTI with over-the-counter medications. There are meds to help manage the symptoms, but only antibiotics are going to cure the actual infection. And if you don't do that, a UTI can spread to your bladder or kidneys and pose serious health risks.

I do think you should try and see your healthcare provider. I can't speak to the reliability of those home tests, save to say that they are limited, and you are going to get a better assessment of what is going on from your doctor. Even if one of those tests shows you have either, you still will need to see a doctor for treatment.

FYI, excess discharge that's very watery can also suggest a bacterial infection: yet another thing you'd need a doc to assess and help you treat.

[ 07-01-2009, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.