Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » in pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: in pain
chloe489
Neophyte
Member # 33664

Icon 8 posted      Profile for chloe489     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had sex about 3 hours ago and the inner lips of my vagina are still very swollen. it hurts to sit. my down there always gets swollen during sex but always goes down within a half hour. what could be going on? help!
Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I ask if you reached orgasm during that sexual activity? When we get sexually aroused, there's an increase in blood flow to the genitals (the penis for men - which causes erection - and the vulva and vagina for women) which causes the swelling that you've noticed before. When you reach orgasm, that tells your body to reduce that swelling. But, if you don't orgasm, that vasocongestion can stick around for awhile and cause some pain. (There's a more detailed description of that process here: FBI Files: Vasocongestion, AKA: Blue Balls)

There are a couple of options to reduce the discomfort: you can have an orgasm, if it isn't too uncomfortable to do so, or you can take a couple of ibuprofen or aspirin. Some people find that a cold or lukewarm shower or bath also helps.

If none of those things help, and you're still in pain, it's worth calling your doctor, but you should be just fine.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chloe489
Neophyte
Member # 33664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chloe489     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes I reached orgasm many times. The actual intercourse was not rough itself but, being fingered was pretty rough, had to tell him to stop. I came so much it almost felt like it was too much. could the rough sex be a factor in this?
Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That absolutely could cause the pain and swelling. Your vulva is probably a bit irritated right now - taking a couple of ibuprofen or aspirin should help with the swelling as well as the pain, and you might find a warm bath soothing as well.

In the future, make sure you're using plenty of lube during sex - you can never have too much, and it really makes things a lot more comfortable.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.