Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Halp!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Halp!!
ausam
Neophyte
Member # 39519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there,

I have been on Birth Control for a couple of years now, and I usually remember to take it on time, however, I have recently moved to a place with a drastically different time zone, so I have started forgetting my pill at times. So I forgot to take my pill on Wednesday night, but I took it on Thursday during the afternoon. Then, that night I had sex. We used a condom and everyhting seemed fine, because of that. However, On Friday when I was peeing, a condom popped out of me. I immediately panicked, because the guy did not tell me the condom came off, and I have no idea if he came or not. I figured though that because I took my pill on time that day that everything would be ok. However, on Saturday night I noticed that I had spotting. The spotting has now stopped, but Saturday was my last day of active pills. Does the spotting mean my pills werent effective? I am freaking out. Should I start taking me next round of birth control pills to prevent me from ovulating, since I'm ow on my inactive pills? Please help. Thanks

Ausam

Posts: 28 | From: Aus | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking the next round of pills will not prevent ovulation if you are already going to ovulate. Just stick to your normal pill schedule per the pill. Skipping the placebo period won't help with any possible risk, and skipping your withdrawal bleed by doing that will likely only give you more cause to worry.

So, as I understand it, you only took one pill late, or were there more?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausam
Neophyte
Member # 39519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took my Wednesday pill late by many many hours. However, on Saturday I kinda of took it late again. I usually take my pill at like 3am or 4am [the time difference here makes it so that i have to take it at weird times] but I didn't take it until 8am, which I didn't consider a big deal cause I didn't take it that late. Saturday was my last pill of my pack though.

[ 07-27-2008, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: ausam ]

Posts: 28 | From: Aus | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausam
Neophyte
Member # 39519

If I go to the drug store here and ask for the morning after pill will it still work? I didn't go right away because I thought that I had taken the missed pill in enough time for my body to still be under the influence of the hormones, but as soon as I got thr spotting I panicked. Will the morning after pill still work if I take it today? I've heard from some places that it will only work up to 3 days later and other places say they work up to 5 days later...
I'm 21, so I can just walk in and get the morning after pill I beleive. At least I think I can. I just moved here so I had to research the laws on emergency contraception lol

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given so many sporadic days in a row, I'm guessing that's most likely why you saw spotting. I also have to say it is possible your effectiveness was decreased in the last cycle if days were actually missed (like if you took Wednesday's pill Thursday, but didn't also take Thursday's pill with it).

You're actually within the 120 hour window of emergency contraception still, I think: what pill are you using? I ask because it might be wise to use your pills as EC if you can (not all brands can be).

Obviously, you'll also want an STI screening in the near future.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausam
Neophyte
Member # 39519

I'm using alesse.
Heather
Member # 3

Alesse can be used for emergency contraception. It's best to use EC within 72 hours, but it still is around 75% effective when used within 120 hours (five days), so given I'd say any risk is likely still minimal since it wasn't like you were using nothing, I'd suggest using it as EC now if you want some backup.

To use Alesse as EC, you want to take 5 pills now and then and 5 pills 12 hours later.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

ausam
Neophyte
Member # 39519

I shall do that then! Just one more question though. If I do use my Birth Control as EC or if I was to go get EC from the drug store, when should I expect to get my period? Since I am now taking my sugar pills I would usually get my period on Thursday, but if I take EC will it make my period late/early?

[ 07-27-2008, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: ausam ]

Heather
Member # 3

You might well still get that bleed when you expect it. There is a chance you won't, and you may also have some mid-cycle spotting in the next cycle of pills or a late withdrawal bleed the next time around.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.