Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » she scratched a little too deep...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: she scratched a little too deep...
fallchild
Activist
Member # 28780

Icon 8 posted      Profile for fallchild         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got home from a fetish night at a club. For fun, I suggested to my friend that she should scratch me because she has long fingernails. I expected her to leave red welts, but instead she dug in, HARD, and dug actual chunks of skin out of back. I freaked out a little because I had bleeding, open wounds in a filthy, smoky club, so I quickly got them covered with band-aids. When I got home I washed the cuts with warm water and Dial soap and let them air dry. There are only two or three places where she actually broke the skin.

So...my question is, am I at risk for any blood-borne illnesses from this incident? Something that makes me squirm is I'm worried she might have scratched other people and drawn blood before she scratched me and I'm really scared I have crawlies from someone else in my system now.

Please let me know if there's anything I should do other than washing the wounds with warm water and soap. I'm really nervous.

--------------------
"It's better to die on your feet than live down on your knees"

Posts: 117 | From: SLC, UT | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever you engage in something like this where there is blood exposure and a wound, there is going to be a risk of bloodborne infections. Obviously, with any wound, there's always a risk of bacterial infections.

From here on out, understand that if you are asking someone to engage in play with something like scratching and biting, you need to consider it fluid-sharing and blood-sharing from a sexual health perspective. That's stuff you really want to share for partners where you have been together monogamously for six months, know you have both had screenings, and also engage in basic safety like handwashing first.

If you're going to engage in play like this, you're going to want to educate yourself about safety practices as well as real negotiation and consent. Obviously, too, you want to try to only choose partners for any kind of sex play who have this same awareness, and when you only want light scratching, you need to make that clear before playing.

So, what can you do now? Keep those wounds clean, and use a topical antibiotic on them, like Neosporin. Then, in a couple of weeks, go ahead and get new STI screenings, including a new HIV test. If you're not current with your Hepatitis vaccination, hop on that, too. None of those things are to say you absolutely will get something from this, but rather that risks have been present, and this is how to manage them after the fact.

[ 06-29-2008, 03:55 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallchild
Activist
Member # 28780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallchild         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the reply Heather [Smile]

Yesterday I spoke to my friend who did the scratching and told her the risks I had been exposed to. She said that her and her boyfriend had a negative STI/HIV test in March, and I know for a fact that they've been monogamous since then. This made me feel a lot better. After knowing this is another STI/HIV test needed? I'm just wondering.

I will be calling my doctor today to see how much a Hepatitis vaccination would be, and as for the wounds they have stayed covered with bandages and Neosporin.

--------------------
"It's better to die on your feet than live down on your knees"

Posts: 117 | From: SLC, UT | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.