Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » what do I do?! Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what do I do?! Help!
iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iamfree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had diarrhea again! (I had some mild diarrhea about 20 minutes after taking my pill today). This time I think it's watery enough to compromise my protection. However, after my first bout of diarrhea, I took an unecessary extra pill, thinking I had just pooped out my first pill.

What do I do? Do I take another pill, even though I've already taken 2 today? Help!

Posts: 149 | From: Costa Rica | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
iamfree, how long have you been on the pill? If it's been for a few months, then it might be ok to just just let today slide in terms of taking a pill, and just take your one tomorrow as scheduled. The occasional missed pill won't compromise effectiveness.

(And next time, feel free to continue in the original thread. It helps keep everything organised better, and uses less bandwidth) [Smile]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iamfree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the second month. Do I take another pill?
Posts: 149 | From: Costa Rica | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't suggest it. I would let today slide, and continue taking them tomorrow. You can back up with a second form of protection, if you are going to be having intercourse again this month. But you should be ok. You've been on the pill for more than our recommended one month, so your protection shouldn't be compromised too much, unless you've been bad about taking your pills.

It's just that you don't want to keep taking a pill every time you have diarrhrea- chances are you might go some more today. You don't want to waste them.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

Wasting them isn't really an issue--that's what the spare pack is for.

But if I do take another one, will it be ok?

Also, what do I do if I still have diarrhea tomorrow? I think I got a stomach bug from my brother, and he had diarrhea for an entire week.

ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Well, even though it is a spare pack, it is kind of pointless to keep takign them, if they aren;t going to do you much good.

IF you want to, you can take another one. Again, it won't affect the effectiveness, but could cause some nausea.

And did your brother see a doctor? Diarrhea for a week isn't good, so you might want to think about seeing a doctor soon as well. If it's a bacterial infection, you can get antibiotics to help.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

I just asked my brother, and apparently he only had diarrhea for 2 days. I was under the impression that it had been longer since he's been under the weather for about a week.

Anyway, I'm really paranoid, so I took that extra pill. Thank you so much for your help!

iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

One more thing: My pill insert says that if I miss one pill during week 3 (which is the one I'm on right now), I should skip the pill-free week and take the next pack right after I finish this one.

If I end up getting diarrhea all through today and tomorrow (that would be 2 missed pills), do I still follow these instructions?

ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Are you on a monophasic or triphasic pill? And does your insert tell you what to do if you miss two pills? If you let us know what pill you are on, we can find the monograph of it, as well.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

I'm on Yasmin, which is a monophasic pill. It doesn't say what to do if I miss 2 pills. (Thank you so much for your help!)

[ 05-12-2008, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: iamfree ]

ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

According to the leaflet that comes with your pills:

"If you miss 2 yellow active pills from the 3rd week,
-if you are a day 1 starter, throw out the rest of your pills and start a new pack the same day.
-if you are a sunday start, continue taking your pills until sunday, and the throw out the pack and start a new pack the same day.

You should use back up contraception for the week following the missed pills. Also, you may not get your withdrawal bleed this month, but thats to be expected. However, if you don't get it next month, a pregnancy test may be in order. "

I got this info from http://www.yasmin-us.com/index.htm .

Of course, being that this is only your second month of the pill, your withdrawal bleeds may be wonky for a few months anyway.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

I'm a day 1 starter. Ok, so basically, if I still have diarrhea tomorrow, I need to throw out my pills and start taking a new pack tomorrow, right?

And after I'm done with the new pack, my protection will be restored?

ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Yes and yes. You got it [Smile]

With the diarrhea, make sure you are drinking a lot. Diarrhea is a good way to become dehydrated.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ok, one more thing and I'll leave you alone. [Smile] Suppose I'm really sick and end up missing 3 pills. The link you sent me says I have to do the same thing that I'm supposed to do if I miss 2 pills (throw out the current pack and start a new one). In the worst case scenario, if I miss 3 pills, do I throw out the brand new pack I started taking the day before and start a new one all over?

iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

When and if I start that new pack all over again, do I have to use back-up protection for 7 days for the same reason as when you do a Sunday Start? Is it because my body has to get used to the hormones all over again?
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

It wouldn't hurt if you used back up protection.

And if you have to miss three pills, i would suggest you a) go to a doctor to make sure you dont; need medicine, and b)ask their opinion. cause i know that would be a major pain to have to get a whole new pack after that (although you could keep it around for extra pills)

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

Ok, will do.

And what happens if I still have diarrhea tomorrow when I start the new pack? It would mean missing the first pill of a new pack. Do I take 2 pills on the second day or something? (Remember, I have a spare pack. Yay!)

ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

You could do that (you'd have to use back up still though, to be extra safe).

But again, if you end up having three days of diarrhea, you'll want to check in with a doctor to make sure that you don't need to be put on antibiotics or anything like that.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

No, but in that case I'd only have 2 days of diarrhea. But since I need to start that new pack on the day I miss a second pill, I might still have diarrhea when I take the first pill of the new pack. If that is the case, I'd be missing the first pill in the new cycle. That's what I'm worried about.

To be safe, the back-up ought to be for the entire month, right? And once that month has ended, I can rely on the pill for the next cycle?

ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Correct. Technically, the pill information says you only need back up for seven days, but to be safe, a month would be fine. And when you started a new cycle after that, then you could rely on just the pill.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

Great! Thanks!

Ok, so to recap: If I do end up having diarrhea tomorrow when I start the new pack, I should take 2 pills on the second day of the new pack to make up for the first missed pill?

iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

But isn't it a little risky to be starting a new pack a day late (which is essentially what i'd be doing)?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.