Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » How much is too much?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How much is too much?
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so, Im not in a huge hurry or anything, but I do have a quick question that it would be nice if you can answer.

You see, I'm sexually active (although I've never had intercourse), and none of my friends are. However, being very open with each other, we often talk about our periods and other body related things. Now, Im not sure if being sexually active affects how heavy your period flow or not, but here is the problem/question.

After talking to them, they all use 'regular' size tampons and change approx. every four to six hours, and rarely every go through. Now, I dont like changing in public places, such as school, so I dont change for about eight hours (not the best idea, I know, but..) I usually wear 'super' and put on a pad in case of going through, which I always do! However, I went to my cousins Friday and I started; all she had was regulars, and I found that I was going through every two hous. I noticed, though, that she still didnt need to change until after four to six hours. (She is one of my close friends that I talk to, too.) Now, I understand that people's flow vary from person to person as well as day to day, but isnt that too much? I'm on my third day, and although today it seems as if Im barely going, yesterday was a totally different story. Is it normal for the flow to be this much? Do I need to talk to my gyno when I go? Does this possibly have to do with being sexually active? (I wasnt involved with any sexual activity for at least a week prior to starting..)

I might add that in order for me not to go through a super, on a normal day, I have to change at least every four to six hours, sometimes less.

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You really do want to get in the habit of changing your tampons more often. You might also consider that a safer, healthier choice if you want to go eight hours without changing them is to switch to a Divacup or Keeper. Because menstrual cups contain rather than absorb, they don't carry the same hazards that tampons do when it comes to leaving them in for longer periods of time.

Even though it looks like more than that, on average, most women only put out a couple tablespoons of flow through a period, and that flow is usually heaviest in the first day or so. So, if by soaking through, you mean you are literally saturating a regular tampon to the point it's all red or brown for days, then yes, you may want to check in with your healthcare pro about that, though it's not likely related to being sexually active. If by going through, you mean it might just be about to leak by filling up one part of it...eh, no need for worry.

But it's sounding to me like you're simply used to using a bigger tampon for longer periods of time, here. If you're not having any other symptoms of something being up in terms of your bleeding or period -- like very painful periods, easy bruising, bleeding from the gums or nose, bleeding at times other than your period -- chances are it's nothing to worry about.

(By the by, extra bonus with the Divacup? There are marks on it to help you measure how much flow you actually have.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I mean by soaking through is that the entire tampon is soaked, and the pad that I put on for 'backup' is not almost half way filled, if you know what I mean. So, I dont know.

But thank you, and I will look into the Divacup.

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.