Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » pre-cum and plan B

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pre-cum and plan B
panther11
Neophyte
Member # 38248

Icon 5 posted      Profile for panther11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend and I had sex of the first time and it was completely un-planed and against my better judgement we didn't use protection. It was for an very short period of time and he never went. I understnd you can still get pregant from pre-cum so we went and got the EC pill. What are the risks that i can still get pregnate? I know they are low but i need some additional reasurence. Thanks!
Posts: 17 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Panther: Welcome to Scarleteen.

Unprotected intercourse presents a low to moderate risk of pregnancy - and depending on how soon after intercourse you obtained and took EC the risk would have been significantly lowered. If you don't wish to become pregnant then it's extremely important that you're using condoms for all genital to genital contact (or another reliable method of birth control). If you want to be sure that EC worked, you can test for pregnancy 10-14 days after the risk or test if your period doesn't arrive on time (and remember too that EC can alter your period for a while because of the massive dose of hormones).

You both were also at risk for STI transfer - so if you've not both had two full clear STI screenings back you'll need to make an appointment to be tested for that as well.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3415 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panther11
Neophyte
Member # 38248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panther11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey thanks alot! I took the pill within 2 hours of intercourse and I'm actually going to the doc soon to have a full exam. So I know they will be able to tell me everything but I've just been sturring around about this and i needed some help.
Posts: 17 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering you took EC 2 hours after the risk (which was pretty close to the risk) and you only had a low to moderate risk of pregnancy to begin with you should be pretty safe. Do you need any help in finding a good birth control method that fits your lifestyle/schedule?

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3415 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panther11
Neophyte
Member # 38248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panther11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wanting to get on the pill and we have purchased condoms, but i was thinking about the ring. I haven't herd much about it except what one of my friends has told me. Is the ring as relyable as the pill?
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

From our Birth Control Bingo: the Vaginal Ring:
99.7% effective with perfect use; less than one out of every 100 women will become pregnant each year
92% effective with typical use: 8 out of every 100 women will become pregnant each year

And from Birth Control Bingo: The Combination Pill:
99.7% effective with perfect use; less than one out of every 100 women will become pregnant each year
92% effective with typical use: 8 out of every 100 women will become pregnant each year

Why don't you scope around a bit through our Birth Control Bingo and see which methods would best fit your lifestyle and time schedule.

--------------------

panther11
Neophyte
Member # 38248

thanks i will! you've been a nice stress reliever! [Smile]
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

You are most welcome [Smile] . After looking through the articles on the main site, if you have any additional questions about particular methods then just let us know and we'll try to claridy for you.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.