Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Abortions...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abortions...
whatdoido?
Neophyte
Member # 37817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whatdoido?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to get an abortion and not involve your family? I mean, i know its very important to have someone with you through out the proccess, but is it possilbe to take care of the situation without involving them? Like, where can you go to get it done, how much does it cost? Can i pay for it without involving inssurance so that my family wont find out? Just some questions i was wondering about..
Posts: 6 | From: Florida | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Abbie and Courtenay told you here, you didn't have a pregnancy risk, so this shouldn't be a concern for you. If you are just wondering about the possibility of a pregnancy under the age of 18 and what to do about it, you should know that Florida does not require parental consent, but Florida does require parental notification. There are some ways to get around parental notification, and that would be something to ask someone at Planned Parenthood about as they would be more well-versed in the local laws.

Planned Parenthood does offer sliding scale payments, but you are going to be looking at at least $500. That may sound like a lot, but if you really need to get an abortion, there are always ways to come up with the money (walking dogs, part-time job, asking the guy who got you pregnant, borrowing money). If this is something you are thinking about needing in the future as a back-up plan, it's always a good idea to set that money aside for future use.

I'm linking you to Planned Parenthood's website, and I'm also going to link you some articles on abortion. If you have any more questions, feel free to come back and ask.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/
All About Abortion
Abortion: One Woman's Story

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whatdoido?
Neophyte
Member # 37817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whatdoido?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, i was supposed to start my peroid yesterday, and i did.. but it was later on in the afternoon, and it was a pretty normal flow but now im not bleeding as much and im just scared.. I am actually 20 years old. I just know that i CAN NOT have a baby right now.. I come from a very religious family, were sex before marriage is NOT ok.. And i dont agree with it either, it was a one night mess, and now i hate myself for it.. I just want to know how to get an abortion if i need one... I dont know what to do and im just really scared... Do you really think its possible to get one at my age and without parental concent? Thanks for talking with me, i dont have anyone else to talk to.. Please respond quiickly if you can... thanks so much for the websites..
Posts: 6 | From: Florida | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you are over 18, there is no reason why your family would have to know. You don't need parental consent or parental notification if you are over 18 in any state in the U.S. Unless something has changed since that last post, though, you didn't have a pregnancy risk to begin with. There could be several reasons why your period is late, one of which is stress, which it sounds like you are having a lot of right now. Take a look at this article on missed/late periods: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

If you still think that you are pregnant, the first thing for you to do would be to take a pregnancy test. You can buy one at just about any pharmacy or grocery store. Once you take the test, if it comes out positive, then you can go to a Planned Parenthood (I linked you their site above and you can use the "Find a Health Center" at the top of the Planned Parenthood site to find one near you) to get the pregnancy verified and to discuss your options.

So, first things first, take a pregnancy test. After you get the results, then we can help you through the rest of it. At this point, without a positive pregnancy test, you're just going to be worrying yourself, which doesn't solve anything.

And sweetie, don't hate yourself for it. These things happen. I will add that since a condom wasn't used, you are going to want to get a STI screen done. You can either go to your family doctor, your gynecologist, or a Planned Parenthood for that.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know - if you were to start your period yesterday (which you're saying that you did indeed start your period) and yesterday it was a normal flow period not just a light spotting, then you really can't be pregnant. It's not possible to have your period and still maintain pregnancy. Additionally - it's quite normal to have light flow days and heavy flow days. With the stress you've been under over all of this it's not surprising that you're having a light day today and a normal day yesterday.

Also - don't hate yourself. We all have times that we make decisions we think differently about later. Just to be clear on something though - you were fully consenting to sex at the time correct?

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Edit: Sorry about that, whatdoido. I completely missed the first line of your last post. Stephanie's right. If you had your period at all, then you can't be pregnant.

--------------------

whatdoido?
Neophyte
Member # 37817

Hey guys.. Well, according to my usual flow with my birthcontrol pills, my peroids start on Monday and end on Friday.. Like i told you before, my period did come monday afternoon, and i went through about 2-3 tampons, which is normal for the first day of my period.. and then like i told you tuesday i wasnt bleeding as much but i still was a little bit.. And yesterday (wednesday) i was bleeding a little also, but not like usual.. I am still praying that i will bleed more today and tomorrow, even though my usual flow gets pretty light on the last two days of my peroid anyways.. I am hope you guys are right and that it is just stress.. I am also sick with a head cold, like my glands are swollen and my eyes hurt and are puffy.. I think its becasue of lack of sleep lately, which i havent been getting much of, and i didnt know if yall thought this could be one of the reasons why my peroid is being funny... I guess im going to go and get a pregnancy test today, but i just dont know what im going to do if it says positive.. I guess i just wanted to fill you in on whats been happening with my period, so that i could maybe be re-assured that yall dont think im pregnant before i take that test... Do you think the test will be accurate enough if i take it today? I dont know what i would do without this website and i thank you all for what you do and for giving up your time everyday to help me and others.. Thanks..
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

We're glad to help. [Smile] If you take a pregnancy test, it should be accurate now. Though really, it isn't necessary since any bleeding that's heavier than spotting can be assumed to be your period, which means you aren't pregnant, but if it will give you some peace of mind, then go for it. With being sick and stressed, it's reasonable that your period would be lighter than usual.

--------------------

whatdoido?
Neophyte
Member # 37817

Thank you guys so much for all of the support.. I really couldnt have gotten through everything with out your help... I just took a pregnancy test and it was negative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am always a worrier, but i would almost rather worry as a way to prepare myself for the worst... I would recommend this cite to any of my girlfriends if they ever needed advice! Thank you so much for everything..

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.