Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » EC/ maybe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EC/ maybe?
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 9 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had sex on sunday morning. I am on birth control and have been for about five years. So this risk wouldn't worry me but I know that this month I took a few pills late and may have even taken two at a time if I forgot it the previous day. Yesterday was the first day of my sugar pills so my period should start about wednesday. I am still within the time frame for EC, do you think I should take this? Do you see a need for this? Please help! Thanks so much.
Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you feel that you haven't really taken your pills correctly this cycle, then EC might be a good idea.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. I just didn't know because it was so late in my cycle. Say I take EC this afternoon. What can I expect in my period this week. Cause I'm due to start my period wednesday and I would start a new pack of pills on sunday. Will I most likely bleed or just wait until next cycle? Cause from what I've read, EC usually causes bleeding within about a week.
Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can cause bleeding, and it's also completely normal no tot have any bleeding from it. It all depends on how your body metabolises the hormonones.

The one time I had to take EC, I found that I didn't have any bleeding or spotting from the EC, and I took it the Friday before my placebo week. I still got my withdrawal bleed when I usually do. So you might find that your cycle is a little wonky for a few cycles, or you'll just have random spotting, or you might not suffer any random bleeding.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so I did as advised and took plan b at 10:15 monday night and 10;15 tuesday morning. The first dose would have been about 36 hours after the sex. Today is the day that I usually start my withdrawl bleed according to my bc, and it hasn't came yet. Can this be due to the plan b or is there a real possibilty that I'm pregnant?
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because EC is a whomping dose of hormones, many women do experience a slight change in the schedule for their periods for a month or two while their body becomes accustomed to the hormone levels changing and returning. It's very likely that this is what could be causing the delay in your withdrawal bleed now.

Note the fact though that EC is mose effective when taken closest to the risk - so if you want you can test for pregnancy to be sure.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

But to test, I should wait till about two weeks after the risk?
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

The fact that I am on bc and have been for about five years and it was so late in my cycle and the plan b I feel somewhat protected. Its just I am never ever late and that's what's kinda worrying me.
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many home pregnancy tests can be taken as early as the first day of a missed period. For the most accurate results, it's best to wait until one week after a missed period.

The reason birth control is used to regulate periods is because it puts the hormones at one consistent level, and works continually to even them out to where they should be at any point in the cycle. Adding doses of hormones as you did when you took EC messes with that system ~ so mant women have a change in periods and withdrawal bleeds as a consequence. Additionally, worrying about the possibility can make you late ... it adds stress (really a nasty cycle - you're stressed so you're late, which makes you more stressed - which delays the cycle even more)

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

The fact that I am on bc and have been for about five years and it was so late in my cycle and the plan b I feel somewhat protected. Its just I am never ever late and that's what's kinda worrying me.
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

As I posted above, EC changes periods for many women because it kicks around the hormone levels from where they're kept with BC pills. And really - worrying's not going to do you a lot of good. Worrying adds stress which can then send your cycle off even more. The best thing you can do for yourself right now is to relax.

--------------------

kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Ok I'm sorry to ask so many questions but technically I could take an hpt now since my period was supposed to come on wednesday even though it has only been 4 days since sex and 2 since plan b? And I was wondering when a blood test would be accurate? Thanks so much for answering all my questions!
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

I was thinking about my whole situation just now and it seems to make sense to me that my period is late because of the fact that (I think, I may be wrong) the same hormones that are in EC are in bc. And I know with my bc as long as I take them, there will be no bleeding, like if I were to take two packs continuosly. So if I put into my body a whoppong dose of hormones on my placebo week the day before my period was due, it would make sense that it is late. If this makes any sense let me know. I'm just tryin to find comfort in the fact the my period is a day late and it never is!
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Stephanie said,
" Adding doses of hormones as you did when you took EC messes with that system ~ so manty women have a change in periods and withdrawal bleeds as a consequence."
It's likely your period is late because of the EC hormones. Just be patient and take a pregnancy test when you can.
I think you have to wait 14 days after a risk, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll see if another volunteer knows more.

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

so today is the day that I am supposed to start my new pack of pills and since I took the 2nd dose of p EC on tuesday morning all I've seen is a little tee tiny bit of blood when I wipe myself and this only occured yesterday. so should I continue to take my pills as usual today and put my missing period down to too many hormones?
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. As mentioned above, EC can cause some changes to your period. Keep taking your birth control as usual and things should smooth out in the next cycle or two.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

So its me again. Since about the april 20th, ive had light spotting, some light discharge when I wipe. I put this down to the EC alone with my reg BC, this is lots of hormones! I want to take a test now, just for piece of mind, and my period isnt due to start for another week and a half. Its been 20 days since my risk, so I know a test would be accurate. my question is soo I need to wait till the morning to take it or can I take it now, cause on the test it says first morning urine has the highest dose of HGC. Thnks so so much!
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waiting until morning will give you a higher effectiveness of the test. You can take it any time, though, it just is more likely to show a pregnancy (if there is one, and if the concentration of HGC isn't very high yet) first thing in the morning.

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.