Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Third world country pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Third world country pregnancy
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, this post is on behalf of a friend.

I know someone living in the country of Jordan, and she just discovered she's pregnant. She said it's illegal but not uncommon for family members to disown or kill someone for the offense of pre-marital sex. She's honestly worried that if her cousins discover it, that her life will be in danger.

Does anyone at all know of any resources in Jordan for a pregnant teenager? She wants and abortion, but isn't sure where to get one or how to find help.

Thanks.

Edit: After a smidge of research I've come to learn that abortions are illegal in Jordan. She says her boyfriend is trying to get some pill which is used for something else, but will cause a miscarriage if taken. This just seems dangerous though, and I'm at a complete loss for suggestions to her.

[ 01-10-2008, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: pixeldot ]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd STRONGLY recommend against her taking that pill- it's not safe to take medications to cause a miscarriage that aren't specifically intended to do so (and if it were legit, she'd be taking it under doctor's supervision, too).

Abortion is not totally illegal in Jordan- it will be done if the pregnancy harms the woman's health- but otherwise, it is not available legally. Too, inducing your own miscarriage in Jordan is apparently punishable with up to three years in jail.

Unfortunately, this is an incredibly tricky situation, and I'm not sure what to advise, so I will make a post in the staff section to see if anyone else has any advice for you.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.