Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Can you get a period (or regular bleeding) while pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you get a period (or regular bleeding) while pregnant?
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on birth control, have been for a while. I'm usually good with it, sometimes I'm late on maybe one or two pills per pack. I use condoms 99% of the time, but maybe 3 times I've had sex without a condom (these were all on days when I had taken my pills on time every day of that pack). 3 months ago I had a weird period..... it was very light in the beginning but picked up by the last 2 days, but everyone told me it was nothing.

But I've been gaining alot of weight lately and it is all going to my stomach. Thing is, I've gotten my period every month right on time.

I read online some place that you can get a period (or monthly bleeding, not period blood) and still be pregnant. But my bleeding is on time every month, and lasts for about a week, it definitely seems like a regular period. That one weird one just made me so nervous.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you had a normal variation on your period and nothing to worry about. I don't see how you've had a pregnancy risk but if something as quick and easy as taking a pregnancy test will make you feel better, by all means do so.

The weight gain I can't explain. Have you made any changes in the way you eat or exercise? Is it possible you're putting so much focus on your stomach that you're mentally exaggerating its appearance? If none of those sound right, sudden and dramatic weight fluctuations should be checked out by your health care provider.

--------------------
I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns. --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really have a pregnancy risk, but I've heard from quite a few people that they got pregnant even while on birth control. I'm never really concerned when I combine birth control with condoms I'm not as paranoid, but I did try sex without condoms a few times, the most recent being a month and a half ago. Those times make me really paranoid, so I decided to just use a condom everytime since then.

I just finished my first semester of college, which could account for the weight gain. Its been like 15-17 lbs, which isn't massive, but noticable.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "freshman fifteen" is pretty common. [Smile]

The combination pill is 99% effective with perfect use. Perfect use means taking it as directed (being a little late once or twice a pack is no big deal), not throwing up shortly after taking it, and not taking antibiotics that could compromise its effectiveness. That being said, using condoms as a back-up is a great idea. Not only can they offer extra peace of mind, they provide protection from STIs.

It sounds like you're being pretty proactive about your sexual health care so keep it up.

--------------------
I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns. --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.