Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Paranoia? (BC & condom)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paranoia? (BC & condom)
fuzzball44
Neophyte
Member # 36295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fuzzball44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm sorry if you've gotten questions like these a million times before, but I just can't go without asking mine, I'm ridiculously worried. But I don't know if I have reason to be?
Here's the sitch:
I got on Aviane 28 about 3 months ago, and usually am good at taking my pill. I don't take the sugar pills, but I always start my next pack on time, (not trying to skip period though).
I started my pack last Sunday Dec. 23, and today's Sunday the 30th. I had sex yesterday and two days before.
The only thing is, the condom broke yesterday. He didn't come inside me, but I think there was a bit of pre-cum.
Am I just ridiculously paranoid or do I have something to worry about? If I do choose to take the 5 orange pills as EC, would that be effective?

Thanks so much for any help/advice.

Posts: 15 | From: AK | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you've been taking your BC pills regularly and for some time now, you should be fully protected from pregnancy. I see no need for EC here.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fuzzball44
Neophyte
Member # 36295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fuzzball44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't wait till I get my period, until then I'm gonna make myself sick worrying. [Frown] Do I even have reason to worry at all?

I was also wondering, just how effective is the pill? It just seems like it doesn't do a whole lot, and it doesn't feel as safe without a barrier protection too.

Posts: 15 | From: AK | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would reading more about how the birth control pill works, perhaps, make you feel more confident in its protection? For the record, perfect pill use (taking one pill a day around the same time every day without missing days or being more than 12 hours late) affords 99% protection against pregnancy.

You know, many women feel the same, and it IS really hard to believe that one little pill daily protects so well. In fact, one of the reasons I personally stopped using the pill (among many) is because I simply didn't feel safe using a method I couldn't see working, and that's perfectly valid.

So, if you find yourself worrying over being protected constantly, even when you learn more about how the pill works, you might consider using a new method with condoms that is more acceptable to you in terms of visually confirming effectiveness. [Smile]

[ 12-30-2007, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fuzzball44
Neophyte
Member # 36295

I just finished my first week of orange pills, and have been taking them around 9pm every night, give or take an hour. Is this still safe? I haven't missed a day (knock on wood).

I've been going crazy researching all this, and my bf tells me I have nothing to worry about, but still. I'm about as paranoid as you can get.

What are other visually confirming methods that work?

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you have a three hours window in which to take your BC pill for it to be effective so taking it sometimes a little bit earlier or later than you normally do but within that time frame is fine.

You can rely on the pill alone as a contraceptive once it's been one month you've been on it and since you've been on it for about three months now and took all of your pills properly you were protected against pregnancy, no matter whether or not you took EC.

So, you are just NOT pregnant honey. But, if that can help, you can go ahead and take a pregnancy test 10-14 days after your risk to ease your worries.

Per your last question, if I'm not mistaken, you were asking about other possible birth control methods you could use with the condom beside the pill, right ? I think that would be a great thing to discuss with your GYN. But just to give you an idea of what options are out there for you, check this out:
Choosing contraceptive

It's also worth keeping in mind that if you are extremely worried about pregnancy, that it might be a good thing to take a break from any sexual activity that poses a pregnancy risk for a while. [Smile]

[ 12-30-2007, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fuzzball44
Neophyte
Member # 36295

So do I have anything to fret about?
Even if it's the first week of pills for this month, and the condom broke?
I think that's what's killing me.

I can't help but worry still. I'm literally going out of my mind, ugh. [Frown]

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I can gather you have been on the pill for three months now, am I correct ? If so, given you have been taking your pills properly then you are protected against pregnancy, really, as I stated before.

I get that you are worried, and plenty of people have been in that same position before, but it's just almost impossible for you to be pregnant here.

[ 12-30-2007, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aldo, keep in mind that you are protected during your placebo week, as long as you've taken you pills correctly. So it doesn't matter where in your cycle the risk occurs, as you are covered the same throughout.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fuzzball44
Neophyte
Member # 36295

I don't take the inactive pills, mainly because I forget. (bad I know.) Is this alright, since they don't have hormones? I know they're made as reminder pills, but I always start my next pack on time (Sunday).
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Yep, that's totally fine. It's up to you whether you want to take the placebo pills or not, your body won't make any difference since they do not contain any hormones anyway, they are just there to keep you in the habit of taking your pill everyday. :)

--------------------

fuzzball44
Neophyte
Member # 36295

Alright, so I feel a little better:

The chances are very slim to none, if there was only pre-cum and I'm on the pill..?

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The chances are seriously as close to zero as it gets without avoiding intercourse altogether. :)
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fuzzball44
Neophyte
Member # 36295

I've been looking at comparisons of generic to name brand pills, do they make any difference? Since Aviane is generic for Alesse?

I know it seems like I'm thinking way into this, but I can't help it. :/

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, there is no difference between the generic and the name brand. They are equally effective.

Really, taking birth control pills correctly (and it sounds like you've been doing that) is about as safe as it gets. You have no reason to suspect pregnancy.

[ 01-02-2008, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8995 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fuzzball44
Neophyte
Member # 36295

I've also been wondering about the levels of effectiveness different pills have, if any. Aviane is a low dose pill with 0.02mg of ethynil estradiol (estrogen) and 0.10 levonorgestrel. Does the amount of hormone make a difference?
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The amount of hormone really doesn't make a difference. Different formulations just work "better" for different women in terms of side effects and syncing up with body chemistry. That's all.
Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.