Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pelvic Inflammatory Disease???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease???
Lara123
Neophyte
Member # 36193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lara123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I have never had intercourse, but developed Bacterial Vaginosis about 2-3 years ago but didn't know i had it...my doctor kept suspecting everything else but that for some reason (maybe cause I said im not sexually active? i don't know)...but so I only got diagnosed and prescribed antibiotics about a year or so after I developed it...then I developed BV again after 6 months....but I feel like i have constant abdominal pains from time to time...I was told it may just be gas or something since its never in one place and not limited to just lower part of abdo?...but from what i've read online, Im scared it may be PID? Can PID be caused by BV? And can the bacteria move to the cervix and other organs by itself (without anything being inserted in the vagina?)...Please help, my doctor is not very helpful and doensn't take it serious bc i said im not sexually active...Im really scared if I have PID I've had it for a long time then (maybe 3 yrs now)....am I overeacting?!....HELP PLEASE I need advice!!
Thanks!

Posts: 3 | From: Toronto | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PID develops from untreated genital or reproductive infections, and it sounds to me like you've had plenty of healthcare, and had your BV treated each time pretty quickly. Your doctor likely isn't taking PID as a possibility seriously because if you've never been sexually active, and have only had BV which has been treated, it really isn't something you've a likely risk of. Your symptoms also don't sound like PID.

It's also not that likely you had BV for a year before treatment: while BV should be treated, it is a mild infection in most cases, and it can also resolve itself sometimes. Having it for a full year without it resolving itself would likely have become really uncomfortable per your genitals. It is NOT a likely cause of PID, like chlamydia and gonorrhea are.

Sounds to me like you might be dealing with a bit too much DIY health research. PID symptoms, when they are present tend to involve lower abdominal pain, fevers, unusual vaginal discharges, pain with sex or urination, or irregular vaginal bleeding.

But by all means, if you're having profound abdominal pain, that should be looked into. If your doctor already has, and is suggesting those are gas pains, then she or he should also have suggested some things for you to try?

I'd also ask if your doctor has looked into your recurring BV? If you're not sexually active, are you douching? Trying to wash inside of your vagina in some other way? And just to be clear, when you say you are not sexually active, are you talking about all kinds of sex, not only intercourse?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara123
Neophyte
Member # 36193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lara123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thank you so much for your response...just to answer your questions...my abdominal pain is not profound, its just mild pain that comes and goes...its not in any particular place all the time, but mostly around the left mid to lower section and on the left side of my belly button area...when I had BV I may have developed it from friction from thong underwear or wiping inproperly (as suggested by my doc)...and was told the second recurrence was due to the sometimes having BV recur a second time on its own....and have not had any type of sexual activity with another person (just masturbation--outside vagina though).....also, Im just questioning my doc bec she just suggested gas just from what i told her...i was not looked at in any way.....but I appreciate your advice...I think Im starting to give my self cramps from worry!...
Posts: 3 | From: Toronto | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotcha.

You know, regardless, you deserve to have your concerns addressed by your doctor. Even though it really doesn't sound to me like PID is the likely issue here, persistent discomfort (especially when you're young and healthy!) is something your healthcare should be addressing.

So, next time you see your doctor, I'd bring it up again if this pain continues, and be sure to ask her what she suggests you do about that pain, okay? If she thinks it's gas, for instance, she can suggest some dietary changes and possible over-the-counter treatments.

And per the BV stuff, for certain, thongs have been found to be an issue for some women, and improper wiping is also a known factor. With the masturbation, do be sure you're also doing that with clean hands: even without vaginal insertion, bacteria on your hands which spreads to your vulva can result in infection.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara123
Neophyte
Member # 36193

Thank You!!!!!!!......You are a big sigh of relief--you have no idea how much your advice is so helpful!!.....really, you and the whole website are amazing, thank you so much for everything!!!

All the best,

Lara

Heather
Member # 3

No trouble, Lara. [Smile]

Just FYI, though, I was just reviewing the question queue on the main site and found this question from you with some additional information that suggests you HAVE been sexually active with a partner in some way.

If that's so, it's really important you be honest with your healthcare provider about that, okay? If you feel you just can't, at the very least bet to a Planned Parenthood so you can get STI screenings there. For future reference, it's also really important to be sure we have all the information, too, so we can answer you as correctly as possible. (And I assure you, it's okay to be honest here.) because with that additional information, STIs really aren't off the table. I still would say PID isn't likely just based on your symptoms, but without an STI screening, you can't know you've not untreated STIs to worry about.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.