Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » STI or just a UTI? :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STI or just a UTI? :(
belladonna
Activist
Member # 35546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for belladonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to get a medical exam done for pre-employment, and I found out today that I have a hold order on my results because of my urine test. The doctor said there are some pustules and white blood cells that are a sign of infection. The annoying thing was the doctor was acting very condescending when I asked whether it could just be a result of the spotting I'm currently experiencing or just a UTI. I am about to start my withdrawal bleed any day now, plus I admit I'm not very good about drinking 8 glasses of water a day. Instead of answering my questions, the doc basically hinted that it could be an STI and that I have to go for a kidney / bladder ultrasound among other tests. Is there any way to tell if it really is an STI? I don't think I've noticed any major symptoms. [Frown]
Posts: 130 | From: hong kong | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Issues with your urine could be from any number of things, but to find out if an STI is a possibility, you'd have to be screened for STIs, which is a batch of different tests, including urine tests but also blood tests and a gynegological exam.

So, if your doc suspected an STI, they'd be ordering those tests, not an ultrasound of your kidneys or bladder. However, if you've been sexually active, you want to get those tests once a year (or more often, if you change partners more often), no matter what, particularly since most STIs don't show any symptoms: in other words, most people with an STI won't have any obvious symptoms, major or otherwise, particukarly at first. Are you up-to-date with your sexual healthcare?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
belladonna
Activist
Member # 35546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for belladonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick reply. I've recently had an HIV screening (negative) and a check-up by my Gyn. Other than that, I've never been tested for other STIs. My current partner was my first, so if I have anything he is the only person I could have gotten it from. It's a bit difficult for us to go for screenings and stuff together, because he lives in another country and we have an LDR. I have no reason to suspect he's been unfaithful though... but I guess one never really knows. I really hope it isnt an STI [Frown]
Posts: 130 | From: hong kong | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you don't need to be screened together. In fact, there's never a need for that, it can just be nice sometimes for partners to have that extra support if they're nervous about testing.

But if you're sexually active in any way, it's just something you both want to do as a preventative healthcare habit once a year. It isn't about someone being unfaithful or not: it's just about basic, preventative care.

All the same, while it's best you both do that, I don't think that this issue with your urine specifically is cause to worry about an STI. Sounds to me like you just had a doctor who was being kind of a jerk. [Frown] Doctors should not be vague with patients just because: your doctor should have answered your question plainly.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
belladonna
Activist
Member # 35546

Thanks so much for your responses. The possibility of STIs alarmed me so much I went to a nearby hospital for a second urinalysis and a second opinion. They referred me to a Gyn who said that the results seem to point to a yeast / fungal infection more than anything else. She prescribed an antibiotic for me, and I feel much more reassured with that plus your advice.

I will have to go back to the original clinic though, because they're the ones in charge of my employment papers. Do you think I should bring up the 2nd doctor's findings with them?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.