Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Birth control/ovulation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control/ovulation
calendars
Neophyte
Member # 36118

Icon 4 posted      Profile for calendars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had sex without a condom two days into my ovulation period, and the sperm were "still alive" during the most fertile peek. My question is:
Do you REALLY not ovulate while on birth control? If not, how come some women get pregnant?

Posts: 5 | From: the united states | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do not ovulate while on birth control, as long as you are using it correctly. That means taking it at the same time every day. So there is no 'safe' or 'unsafe' time in the month where you would be more or less protected, because you are protected the same the whole month.

HBC works by making your body think it's already pregnant. If you are pregnant, you aren't going to ovulate. The withdrawal bleed that you have is because of the drop in hormones.

Some women may get pregnant while using HBc because of improper use. Consistently taking their pill late, or missing days, could cause them to ovulate.

As long as you have been taking your pill correctly for at least one whole month, then you are fully protected, and have no reason to worry about possible pregnancy.

[ 12-13-2007, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: asargent42 ]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calendars
Neophyte
Member # 36118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for calendars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know if you're ovulating? If you have spotted bleeding?
Posts: 5 | From: the united states | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spotting while on birth control can happen for many reasons. Sometimes it can even happen randomly. So unless you are checking your cervical mucus, and your basal temps, there would really be no way to tell.

Do you have reason to think you are ovulating/ovulated this month? Or is it just spotting that you are unsure of?

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calendars
Neophyte
Member # 36118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for calendars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not spotting at all, actually. I just used to be very irresponsible with taking my pills in previous months (3-4 hours late and sometimes the next morning, instead of the night I was supposed to take the pill) and wondered if that would make me ovulate. I think I am fine, actually, as I have never officially MISSED any pill but I still do not know if that would have caused me to ovulate for this cycle.
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Well, a missing pill constitutes taking it more than 12 hours late. And you do have a three hour window in which to take the pill without it being considered late.

If you have been taking your pills correctly this cycle, since your last withdrawal bleed, then you are fine. You would not have ovulated.

Are you able to remain consistent with your pill taking? If taking them on time is something that may become difficult again, perhaps it would be useful to talk to your doctor about non daily methods, like the ring or the patch. You would still have the same protection, but you wouldn't have to worry about taking something on time every day.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

calendars
Neophyte
Member # 36118

I have never had a withdrawal bleed in the two and a half years I've been on the pill. I know my chance is slim to none, but I have the personality type to worry about everything under the sun.

I never used to be consistent due to the fact I was not on the pill for sex, I was on it for potentially having endometriosis. I've been very careful as of late.

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure you're not having a withdrawal bleed? A withdrawal bleed is the bleeding you get when you're taking the placebo pills at the end of the pill pack (or are on you're week off, if you use a 21 day pack). This is often mistaken as a real period.

If you're so worried about pregnancy risks, you either need to make sure you're using a backup method (ie, condoms) or reevaluate whether or not you're really ready to be having sex.

Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist
Margaret Sanger's Disneyland: Choosing Contraceptives

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calendars
Neophyte
Member # 36118

Oh, WOOPS! I meant the bleeding that happens when you screw up on your pills! I bleed during my placebos. Do you still bleed if you're pregnant?
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, if you were pregnant you should miss your withdrawal bleed. Some women have spotting during early pregnancy, but this is very light and not anything like a normal period or withdrawal bleed.
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.