Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » CONTRACEPTIVE PATCH

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CONTRACEPTIVE PATCH
jenny2468
Neophyte
Member # 33497

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenny2468     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i recently went on the contraceptive patch.
i put the first patch on on the first day of my period (Th 1st nov) and changed it yesterday (th 8th nov).
However, I've been lightly bleeding, not as heavy as a period but its been happening most days... I've also been having small period like stomach cramps.
Is this normal? Is it because the first patch was peeling a little bit around the edge? and am i still protected against pregnancy?

Posts: 25 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some spotting isn't uncommon when you're first starting hormonal birth control. It can take up to three months before things really start to get less wonky, so there's no need to worry about a bit of light bleeding unless it carries on for a long time.

It's okay if the patch peels a little bit around the edge- however, we always recommend waiting a month before relying on any new hormonal birth control method to protect you from pregnancy.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny2468
Neophyte
Member # 33497

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenny2468     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks a lot!
my doc (and the leaflets) told me as long as i applied the first patch within the first 3 days think it was 3...) of a period i would be protected immediately.
the 'period' i get once a month while on the patch proves im not pregnant, does spotting do the same?

Posts: 25 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.