Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pregnancy and surgery

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy and surgery
Airem
Activist
Member # 24638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Airem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so a very close friend of mine just found out she didn't have ovarian cancer today. She just has ALOT of sysths. She also found out she was pregnant which is not good because she could not support a child right now. So, she is completely against abortion but doesn't want to have the baby. The doctors told her that her operation would be 6 hours to get the syths removed and that being under the knife that long would terminate her pregnancy anyway? It seems to me that they were just telling her what she wanted to hear or does this sound true to yall? I know your not doctors but i would really appreciate your opinion, i care about her and i don't want her to come out of surgery and them spring it on her that she is still pregnant.

--------------------
As The Shadow Follows The Body, As We Think, So We Become.

Posts: 157 | From: Athens, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is she having the cysts removed? Is there any way she can wait until after delivery to have these cysts removed?

I am having trouble finding information about the risks of anesthesia and pregnancy. I can't imagine surgery while pregnant (especially early in pregnancy) would be advisable, but she needs to weigh the risks for her and the fetus.

Here's the thing though; Morally, i don't see a lot of difference between having an abortion and having a procedure hoping a side effect is an abortion. If she is so against abortion, she REALLY needs to reevaluate why she's having this surgery.

Has she considered adoption? Abortion and parenting are not her only options here, either.

Also, if she doesn't trust what her doctors are telling her, she needs a second opinion.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Airem
Activist
Member # 24638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Airem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I told her the same thing on the morality issue. She said that if she knows the operation will end the pregnancy instead of her own actions then she is ok with it? what the heck? Personally i think she should go with abortion because thats what everything she tells me she wants is leaning towards. She said she doesn't want to have a baby. Supposedly the cysts are at a high risk for becoming cancerous and must be removed quickly thats the only reason i could think of that would require or even hint for a doctor to advise surgery during pregnancy. She trusts her doctors i'm just having trouble seeing how it's all possible that it could work out like that. I don't want her thinking she isn't going to have a baby then all of a sudden it pops up on her that she is after the operation

--------------------
As The Shadow Follows The Body, As We Think, So We Become.

Posts: 157 | From: Athens, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what i have found online, most ovarian cysts are not related to cancer, or are low risk for becoming cancerous. Assuming your friend is around your age, ovarian cancer would be very unlikely.

http://www.4women.gov/faq/ovarian_cysts.htm
http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=7574

If she truly does need this surgery now though, i would suggest she go for it. However, as i said earlier, i am not finding anything online that states that a pregnancy would be terminated by anesthesia or abdominal surgery alone.

She needs to decide for herself what she needs to do. She has three options; abortion, adoption, and parenting. If she does not want to stay pregnant, abortion is an option. She needs to realize that having this surgery hoping that the fetus does not survive is 'her own actions'.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.