Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Sex the day I came off period, Withdrawal, Pregnant???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex the day I came off period, Withdrawal, Pregnant???
Crisy
Neophyte
Member # 35668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had sex the day I came off my period, which was 1 week ago, we used the withdrawal method (he pulled out before he came), but Ive heard this isnt a very good form of contraception. Ive been feeling sick and ive had tummy upsets but this is probably just nerves isnt it? Could I be pregnant? Whens the soonest I can take a test? This was also my first time having sex so im pretty nervous. Help!
Posts: 8 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, withdrawal is a horrible "method" to use. There absolutely is a pregnancy risk (and an STI risk) associated with that kind of contact. Our own founder, Heather, is the result of parents practicing withdrawal.

You can take a test 10-14 days after sex and expect an accurate result. You'll also want to see about getting a full STI screen and talking with someone about your birth control and STI prevention options.

Check out some of our articles:
What's the Risk? Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessments
Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist
Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To
Margaret Sanger's Disneyland: Choosing Contraceptives
Condom Basics: A User's Manual
Testing, Testing...
STI Risk Assessment: The Cliff's Notes

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crisy
Neophyte
Member # 35668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for getting back to me what about the tummy upsets and feeling ill could that just be nerves?
Posts: 8 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly could be just nerves- it's also norovirus season now too, so it could be something as common as a stomach bug as well, for example. You can't really use symptoms to tell if you're pregnant- not only would it be way, way too early for you to be feeling any different, there are also lots of other things that can cause the same symptoms. So, all you can do is wait until you've taken a test to be sure!

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crisy
Neophyte
Member # 35668

Thanks, sorry to keep bothering you but r u sure using the test before im due my period will be accurate, ive heard if you want to get accurate results its best to use it when your due your period.
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 100% sure! Pregnancy tests are accurate 10-14 days after a risk, OR the first day of a missed period- whichever comes first.

To explain simply, 10-14 days is how long it would take for a pregnancy to occur and to produce enough of the hormone detected by pregnancy tests (hCG).

In fact, waiting 10-14 days is generally more accurate, especially since many young women have irregular periods and often can't be sure when their period is actually missed.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(If you want to check the results, you can do so by either waiting for when your period would show up and then testing again...or simply by waiting a week from the first time you tested and re-testing then.)

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crisy
Neophyte
Member # 35668

Thank you so much for all your help, I cant believe i didnt use this site before!!
Crisy
Neophyte
Member # 35668

1 more question then i swear ill stop asking things im just really curious and anxious. when do the 1st symptoms of pregnancy show up and what usually are they? cuz my biology teacher says its sometimes sickness and you can get this any time from the 1st week.
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Honey, there are no reliable symptoms of pregnancy other than a missed period, a positive pregnancy test, and/or giving birth. Any "symptom" can easily be related to a million other things...the flu, a virus, stress, etc. Also, the typical "symptoms" generally don't show up right away. Things like morning sickness and breast tenderness (which are not symptoms, but rather are just side effects associated with pregnancy) are related to hormone changes caused by pregnancy...and the hormones won't be present in significant enough amounts to cause these things until further into pregnancy.

There is absolutely no point in looking for symptoms. It is a waste of time and only adds to your stress.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Crisy
Neophyte
Member # 35668

Thanks

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.