Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » do i need to take emergenncy contraception?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: do i need to take emergenncy contraception?
catscatscats
Neophyte
Member # 35433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catscatscats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i start taking my birth control pills on sundays, ending on saturdays. i started a new pack of pills this sunday. the catch is, i might have forgotten to take the last pill of my pack (two saturdays ago). i really do not remember if i took the pill or not (this is because i have been taking my pills in a sort of unorganized manner - i started a new package near the end of my pill-taking, meaning that i've been taking pills from 2 different packs).

just to be safe, i took 2 pills on sunday when i started the new pack. on monday, i had sex two times, about three and a half hours apart. i did not use any backup method. my boyfriend pulled out both times- i was really paranoid, so i made him pull out after one or two minutes (coming about 10-15 minutes later, nowhere near my vagina). i'm still afraid that there might have been sperm in his pre-cum, and that i might have been ovulating (if i had last taken my pill on friday, i could start ovulating 8 days after, or last saturday, correct?).

should i take emergency contraception just to be safe?

Posts: 3 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a quick clarification, why were you taking two packs? Was it an attempt to shorten the placebo week/eliminate it altogether?

You have nothing to worry about as long as you have gone no greater than 7 days without pills/hormones and took 21 active pills prior. If you accidentally extended the placebo week by more than 7 days by either missing pills directly before the break or by starting the pack late, you must consider your protection compromised and use a backup method.

If this is the case, you'll want to call your pharmacist and ask about EC as well as inquire how long it will take for effectiveness to resume. You'll need to do that in either case to find out how to catch up; missed pills AREN'T effectively made up a week later (especially in the next cycle altogether!), so in the future you'll always want to call and ask before tampering with the pill-taking schedule in an attempt to make up pills that goes contrary to the directions. [Smile]

[ 10-10-2007, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catscatscats
Neophyte
Member # 35433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catscatscats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i accidentally opened the blister pack of some pills that i had yet to take (ie, when opening the packaging of a 'monday' pill, i accidentally opened both the m onday and tuesday pills at the same time). i kept the pills in the pack, but was worried that they might have become ineffective (if the packaging above the pills was slightly opened,perhaps they would become exposed to more heat and not work as well, etc)

with 2 pills left in the unfinished pack (the 2 pills whose packaging/wrapping i had accidentally opened), i started a new pack of pills. i started this pack on tuesday. i checked the pack of unfinished pills, and saw that there is now only 1 pill left instead of 2, which leads me to believe that i could have taken that pill on saturday. i even remember taking my pack of pills (the newer pack) out of my bathroom (which is where i keep them) on saturday and returning them (presumably after taking a pill?). there is an incision made over the saturday pill (the one which i am unsure of having taken), as if i was about to take it, but did not. i'm a very conscientious pill-taker (have never missed one before), and it is not in my nature to miss a pill, but i truly do not remember if i took a pill or not on saturday.

Posts: 3 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catscatscats
Neophyte
Member # 35433

"i started this pack on a tuesday"

* i started this pack on the tuesday of my last week of pills

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks for clarifying. [Smile]

If you're unsure of whether you took it or not, you'd probably do best to give your doctor or pharmacist a call in the morning and ask the risk of compromised protection by accidentally taking an 8 day break versus 7.

In MOST situations, it does not present a very substantial risk, especially in your case, since a incidence of intercourse with pre-ejaculate only presents a low to moderate risk of pregnancy. I'm of the opinion emergency contraception is not warranted, especially if there's a very good chance you did take that pill.

We're not qualified medical providers, however, so please do call to confirm with your own, especially since the EC window is small. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.