Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » bleeding after taking EC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bleeding after taking EC
lovegodpretty888
Neophyte
Member # 35246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovegodpretty888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok so ive never had spotting in my life, and my periods never come any sooner than 30 days apart... usually between like 30-33 days i'd say...
my last period ended on september 6th, i had a risk on the 7th so i took EC on the 10th.... then one week after taking the ec i had spotting and light bleeding for two days....
then on the 23rd i had another risk and took EC the next afternoon... (the 24th), then again a week after taking the EC i had bleeding again.... this time for 3 days. . . .

DOES THIS MEAN THAT I AM 100% DEFINATLY NOT PREGNANT?... or could the bleeding have been bcz of nething else?

thank you so much for all ur professional help/ input.... =-)

Posts: 32 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emergency contraception is essentially a huge dose of hormones. If you add that in with your body's very delicate hormone system, you're going to experience some irregularity.

You took EC twice, which is a double whammy. So, naturally, you're going to be experiencing some spotting or irregular bleeding for a little while until you body settles back into it's natural rhythm. The bleeding has nothing to do with whether you're pregnant or not (which, by the way, the chances of such happening are very small).

(As a side note, why are you having so many pregnancy risks? Are you finding the condoms you use are repeatedly failing? Are you not using any sort of protection? If any of these are the case, you need to investigate ways to make things a little safer, whether that means using protection in the first place or trying different brands of condoms.)

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovegodpretty888
Neophyte
Member # 35246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovegodpretty888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well no neihter of the risks were from sexual intercourse they were both from outter course and i just never knew that there was a possibility you could get pregnant any way oher than full on sexuall intercourse.... so thats the reason for that.. and im just going to go with abstinence from now on bcz of all the worrying and paranoya those little events have caused me....

ok so your saying even though my last period had ended on the 6th, and i bled again from the 30th to the 2nd or 3rd that might not have been my period and theres still a chance i could be pregnant ?

if so, then what else could the bleeding be from?

Posts: 32 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Jamsession explained is that taking EC messes with your body a lot, especially when you take two doses within a couple of weeks. The EC can cause spotting, late or missed periods, etc.

Since it sounds like you had little risk to begin with, and if you took the EC right after the risk each time, you have no reason to suspect pregnancy. By all means, if you're still worried, you can take a pregnancy test around 14 days after the last risk.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovegodpretty888
Neophyte
Member # 35246

ok thanks!
well i just didnt think that bleeding for 3 days was spotting bcz it was similar to my period and i had light cramps.... so i was jw what that bleeding could have been from like if its not from the "release" of the egg what is it from, becase i thought taking EC basically keeps the egg from being fertalized and releases it so i figured that if i had bleeding for 3 days 1 week after taking it then that means im NOT PREGNANT....

so can you PLEASE explain that to me....?

thank you soo much!! =-)

lovegodpretty888
Neophyte
Member # 35246

=-/

?

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't "bump" posts, it's rude and is against our guidelines. If you'd like specific information about the way emergency contraception works, I'd suggest you start out by looking at a couple of our articles:

Emergency Contraception

10 Common Myths, Misunderstandings and Big Ol' Lies About Emergency Contraception

We cannot tell you with 100% certainty that you are not pregnant. That wouldn't be responsible of us since we're not a pregnancy test nor are we psychic. However, as another volunteer already said, since you took the EC promptly after your risks, you should have no real reason to suspect a pregnancy. The massive dose of hormones causes all sorts of weird things to happen with your body, so some bleeding is to be expected.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.