Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Dull pain over ovary

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dull pain over ovary
Neverwinter
Neophyte
Member # 35392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neverwinter         Edit/Delete Post 
I had unprotected sex with only a minute of penetration before we stopped...no ejaculation. (std free) but i started having this dull ache a few days ago over my left ovary, and i dont know what to think of it as. Is that a possible sign of pregnancy? If not what are other possibilities of what this problem might be?
Posts: 3 | From: Tirol | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not a typical pregnancy symptom, no (and it's easy to understand why when you remember that a pregnancy is in the uterus, not the ovaries).

When was this risk, and just to be sure you both have what you need, when were both of your last STI tests?

[ 10-05-2007, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neverwinter
Neophyte
Member # 35392

the risk took place about two weeks ago,,
and, as i stated before, we are both sti/std free.
If not a symptom of pregnancy what other things could it be a symptom of?

Posts: 3 | From: Tirol | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand, but knowing when you both were last tested isn't inconsequential, because testing isn't something any one person or couple does once. If it's been a while since both of you got tested, it's often smart to go again if you're having something that feels or seems funky.

Ovarian soreness can happen for a whole lot of reasons, from something as benign as ovulating to more serious issues that need looking at, like reproductive infections or cancers.

But if, say, you've had your annual pelvic and STI screen (with negative results) just a couple months ago, and know your monogamy status hasn't changed, it'd be unlikely it's anything serious.

Given when your risk was, you could certainly take a pregnancy test now to rule out pregnancy, just for your peace of mind, not because ovarian pain tends to be a symptom. And if you don't do that, and your period doesn't arrive on time, you'll obviously want to get a pregnancy test then. However, if you have negative STI screens, nothing wrong at a pelvic exam and aren't pregnant, it's very unlikely anything you need to fret about.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neverwinter
Neophyte
Member # 35392

January was the last pelvic exam/screening... negative yes,
on that note then: how common is cervical cancer in the 18-20 year old range? is it something that starts in these years? Or does it usually develop when you get older?

Heather
Member # 3

So, you're getting close to it being time for your next yearly, then. That being the case, if this persists -- if it keeps happening, or doesn't subside over the next few days -- you may want to just have that next exam and screening early.

In terms of cervical cancer(which wouldn't cause ovarian pain, either), it generally appears far more often in older women -- about half of all cases are in women over 35 -- though HPV one contracts at a younger age can be a cause. But if you're getting your annual pap smears without fail, and it sounds like you are, and they're all looking okay, and you're also being smart about safer sex practices, it's not something you need to worry too much about.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.