Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Novacaine + Pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Novacaine + Pill?
limesparxx
Neophyte
Member # 33699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for limesparxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three months now on the pill, and I just had sex without a condom today with my bf...I know that's not a problem in itself...but I recently had a tooth filling...and I wonder if there's a medication conflict between ortho tricyclen and novocaine.
I did some researching, and...
Apparently drugs like barbituates and penicillen are listed in the "reduces effectiveness of pill" part of the orthotricylclen packet. And in wikipedia (i know I'm a bit of a dork doing all this but I'm really nervous) it says that novocaine "is used primarily to reduce the pain of intramuscular injection of penicillin" in dentistry. But I don't know for sure, I'm just scraping information together from all different places and I'm very confused.

So if I did have an injection of penicillen, should I consider EC?

Posts: 18 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Precious few drugs interfere with the pill's effectiveness; they are mostly limited to select antibiotics and antiepileptics. Rifampin, a drug to treat tuberculosis, is the only antibiotic shown to interact directly with the effectiveness of OC's; other antibiotics are believed to reduce efficacy in a lesser manner through inhibiting absorption by changing the microflora of the gut.

No studies have conclusively proven that other antibiotics cause decreased effectiveness; but since neither have large studies been done to show they are safe, you'll want to phone your pharmacist or doctor to ask.

I wouldn't panic and get EC, though, until you've gotten their opinion.

[ 09-21-2007, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
limesparxx
Neophyte
Member # 33699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for limesparxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, unfortunately, the planned parenthood near me that I go to is closed now and over the weekend, and that is who I could call [Frown] And if I wanted to get EC, I know its most effective within the first few days and the only days I can go with my boyfriend somewhere to get EC is during the weekend. (My parents won't let me go out with him on a schoolnight.)
Posts: 18 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you try calling the dentist's office, then, to see if you received penicillin at all? Novacaine is used for numbing the mouth for pretty much any procedure, and I'd think they'd let you know if you were receiving an antibiotic prior to giving it to you, along with any precautions you should take.
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

(By the way, I just checked the wikipedia article in question and it did indeed state that it was used in intra-muscular injection; but that's typically not a part of any dental procedure! Unless you have reason to believe you received antibiotics, you can probably chill; unless you literally had a equine-sized needle, you can rest assured there probably wasn't a dosage equivalent to a typical antibiotic course. [Smile] )
limesparxx
Neophyte
Member # 33699

Yeah, and I just realized my appointment was monday afternoon and it's now friday, so any drug interaction if there was any would not be an issue so long afterwards...right? And by the way, your post made me chuckle, "equine-sized needle", lol...though the needle to give me novacaine was way too darn big for my taste..

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.