Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Late Period - Should I be worried?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Late Period - Should I be worried?
Milk n Cereal
Neophyte
Member # 21038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milk n Cereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Saturday the 18th my boyfriend and I performed manual sex on each other. After I gave him a handjob we wiped away the semen from our hands and bodies and he fingered me. I was confident there was little or no pregnancy risk.

However, my period was supposed to start the next day, on Sunday the 19th. It is now late Wednesday (the 22nd) and my period has not come. Should I be worried, or was there not even an egg to be fertilized in the first place?

Also, I have recently started taking prescription naproxen sodium for my menstrual cramps. Could this be the cause of the lateness?

Responses are appreciated. [Smile]

Posts: 22 | From: TX | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a pregnancy risk to be present in a situation like this, his hands would have had to be dripping with semen when he touched you. Since he wiped off his hands before performing manual sex on you, I really don't see that you've had a risk here.

Periods go missing for all sorts of reasons: stress, illness, change in diet or exercise levels, or just because. It could be that the meds you're taking are having an effect on your cycle, or it could be something else entirely. Since your period's only a few days late at this point, don't sweat it. Even the most regular women experience irregularity every now and then. Have a look at this article for more information: M.I.A. or, Dude, Where's My Period?.

[ 08-23-2007, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milk n Cereal
Neophyte
Member # 21038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milk n Cereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for the reply. I knew I didn't have much to worry about, but having someone else tell me really helps put my mind at ease. [Smile]
Posts: 22 | From: TX | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milk n Cereal
Neophyte
Member # 21038

Well, almost another week has gone by and I still haven't started. It's been about 10 days since our sexual activities and 8 or 9 since I should have started.

I realize now that women with even the most regular cycles experience some have irregularity, but is it normal for it to be *this* wonky? (as in, 10 days late?)

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It happens sometimes- even skipping a period is still normal. However, if you're still really concerned, you can take a pregnancy test now if you'd like.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.