Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » DEPO PROVERA SHOT HELP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DEPO PROVERA SHOT HELP
LX4LIFE17
Activist
Member # 32077

Icon 4 posted      Profile for LX4LIFE17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had just gotten the Depo Provera shot 2 days ago at 10AM. The nurse that assisted me with the shot told me that I'm not able to have sex for a week. I had just had sex yesterday night with my boyfriend. I've read on the internet that the Depo shot is effective after 24 hours but I'm still wondering why did she say to wait a week? Am I able to die or anything???? Please write back. =[
Posts: 78 | From: Cali | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on when you had your first injection. If you had it within the first 5 days of your period, then you are protected from pregnancy after 24 hours. However, if you had the injection at any other point in your cycle, you need to wait a week before relying solely on the shot for protection.

Likely this is what she meant when she said wait for a week- you're not going to die or anything, but you may not have been fully protected from pregnancy, and if that's the case, I'd recommend EC.

[ 07-22-2007, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LX4LIFE17
Activist
Member # 32077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LX4LIFE17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay because earlier yesterday I had some spotting and I have no clue what it means. Does that mean that the shot was doing its job or my period was trying to start?
Posts: 78 | From: Cali | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you got the shot 2 days ago, right? Did you have your period then? If not, I'd say you likely had the injection at a different point in your cycle, and therefore were unprotected when you had sex yesterday. If you don't want to become pregnant, you need to get EC within 120 hours of the risk.

(And just so you know, too, spotting is a common side effect when beginning Depo Provera.)

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LX4LIFE17
Activist
Member # 32077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LX4LIFE17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will the EC effect the Depo shot in any way?
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Nope, but it will be an extra whammy of hormones to your body, so you may experience side effects like a bit of wonky bleeding (ie spotting or irregularity) or stomach upset.

--------------------
Lea

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.