Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Abdominal pain and risk

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abdominal pain and risk
butterfly_dream
Neophyte
Member # 34559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for butterfly_dream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

Recently I experienced intercourse for the first time, it hurt a lot but it's been a few days later and I've been experiencing some lower abdominal pain. Is this normal? I haven't been sexually active in over a year and last year I had a checkup and was negative for STDs and such.

Secondly I realise that there probably isn't much of a risk, but when I had sex it was 3 days after my period had finished. We used a condom, but I'm just really worried that I might be pregnant because I've just been going to the toilet quite a lot in the past 2-3 days since.
Do you still think there's any risk of me being pregnant? Please help.
[Frown]
P.S Apologies if I've posted a similar topic to someone else, just in case I have.

Posts: 3 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That doesn't sound like a pregnancy risk to me. However, needing to visit the bathroom a lot and having lower abdominal pain could be signs of a urinary tract infection. Does it hurt when you urinate, or burn?
Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly_dream
Neophyte
Member # 34559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for butterfly_dream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't hurt at all when i urinate, I've just been going to the toilet a lot more often. :S
The pain in my abdomen though has gotten much better than it has been over the past 2 days. Can painful intercourse affect bladder control in any way?

I've also felt a little nauseous...although I think that's probably more from being so paranoid and worried over the possibility of being pregnant rather than an actual symptom.

Should I see the doctor if I keep going to the toilet more than I used to?
I was just worried that I might be pregnant because I've heard that frequent trips to the bathroom are a symptom of pregnancy.

Posts: 3 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't have a pregnancy risk, as long as you didn't have any accidents with the condom, so you can rule out that possiblity. Too, relying on symptoms to figure out if you're pregnant is pretty unreliable- for example, as Erin said, yours could be caused by a UTI. The only symptom you can really trust is a positive pregnancy test.

Intercourse has no bearing on bladder control. I'd recommend you visit your doctor in light of the symptoms you've experienced- untreated UTIs can spread and cause larger infections, which is definately no fun, so even if the symptoms go away, you still need to get checked out.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly_dream
Neophyte
Member # 34559

Thank you so much for all your help!
Everything makes a lot more sense right now.
I'll make sure to visit the doctor soon. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.