Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » More than just a little worried!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More than just a little worried!
OceanCrowned
Neophyte
Member # 32470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OceanCrowned     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am on the third week of my second pack of ortho tri-cyclen lo.
I have been having more intercourse with my boyfriend than is usual. We had intercourse three times on saturday night. I have been bleeding since then - almost like a tiny mini period. I have near perfect pill use, when I deviate it's only by an hour, tops. I start my row of placebos tomorrow.
What IS this? Breakthrough bleeding? Implantation bleeding? What do those words mean?

Thanks!

Posts: 20 | From: Ontario | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Breakthrough bleeding is a term for light spotting that can happen when on the pill (as well as when women NOT on a hormonal method ovulate and experience spotting, which happens to some women).

Implantation bleeding is a light spotting which happens now and then to women who become pregnant, when the egg is implanting itself on the uterine wall. It's important to realize, though, that of women who become pregnant, the majority of them will not experience this.

So, your bleeding could be from the pill, but I'm wondering if with the increased intercourse, you're also using lubricant as needed, and also only having intercourse when (and for only as long as) you're highly aroused and really interested in intercourse?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanCrowned
Neophyte
Member # 32470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OceanCrowned     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing it must be breakthrough bleeding, then. I got my period on my first-second day of placebos last pack so I'll be able to confirm that the day after tomorrow.

Thanks for the definition! I'd been wondering what implantation bleeding was for quite some time now..

As to the last comment.. We don't really use lubricant.. ever. It doesn't really hurt and I'm usually pretty aroused.. when I'm not totally aroused I get quite lubricated after maybe three or four 'thrusts'. Is lube a necessity when you aren't using condoms?
I haven't experienced orgasm yet, could this perhaps be why?

Posts: 20 | From: Ontario | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, one thing to know is that part of how the pill works is by thickening cervical mucus, so that all by itself tends to make natrual lubrication less fluid, and so lube is often even more important for women using the pill. Too, for many women, the pill also inhibits full arousal, so, yet another reason.

Most women, too, won't reach orgasm just from intercourse, but that won't be a reason for bleeding. However, intercourse when you aren't fully aroused (and honestly, "usually" aroused isn't the ticker -- if you're not aroused, don't have sex, okay? Your boyfriend doesn't have intercourse when he isn't, after all) and aren't using lube when needed -- or which is too rough, or not all that wanted -- can cause abrasions and friction which can cause some bleeding.

Which'd be why I asked you about that. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanCrowned
Neophyte
Member # 32470

Well the thing is that not being aroused isn't really a problem - I enjoy sexand I enjoy the intimacy, it doesn't mean I experience mind-blowing pleasure, but I love being close to him and I love it when -he- does. He doesn't force sex on me, I'm fine with it [Smile] and sometimes I do want it more than others, but I'm always up for it when we end up having it.

I did not know that I should be using lube every time :S I've purchased some but it just kind of sits in my closet. I'm going to be on my placebo period this week (if all goes well hah) so afterwards I'll try the lube out and see how that makes me feel [Smile]

The bleeding hasn't stopped!

Heather
Member # 3

Just so we're clear, I am never assuming that someone is being forced into sex by a partner just because they aren't reaching orgasm or aren't as aroused as they could be, and that -- high arousal -- is a pretty critical part of orgasm most of the time.

So, if, for whatever reason, you are having sex when you aren't SERIOUSLY hungry for it, that's something you'll want to adapt. There are SO many ways to be intimate, so having sex when we aren't really, truly interested, and really, truly aroused just isn't a good habit to get into, for a whole host of reasons.

Given, though, the bleeding hasn't stopped, I would still guess that it really is most likely about your body adjusting to your pill. So, if it stops during the placebo period and there isn't more, don't sweat that, either.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

OceanCrowned
Neophyte
Member # 32470

Thanks Heather [Smile] I guess I'll move off to other things unless I'm seriously 'hungry' for a good sex session (hahaha)
I just wanted to make sure that you knew that my boyfriend was in no way influencing my own desires to have sex [Smile] I enjoy it too! [Wink] I understand what you were saying about the correlation between orgasms and willingness of sex - I wasn't trying to make a false assumption there.
I guess I will put off any serious sexual activity until I'm really really craving it? And we'll see about the bleeding when I get my withdrawl bleed.
Thanks a lot!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.