Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pregnancy or illness?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy or illness?
theblindman2
Neophyte
Member # 32570

Icon 1 posted      Profile for theblindman2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend and i had sex about 2 weeks ago, we used both a condom and contraceptive foam, though im not sure if i waited long enough for it to dissolve and also not sure i shook it up enough, it came out just fine so we didnt think about it.

for the past 4 days my girlfriend has had flu like symptoms and a yeast infection. She has been tired, has been able to eat just fine but gets nauseous if jostled. She's also had a dry vagina. She has bled once since then but she says it was as a result of trying to scratch at the yeast infection...

I dont understand why all these suspicious symptoms would happen if we used both condom and foam. Her period is in five days but she gets unreasonable when scared and doesnt want to try a pregnancy test until at least then...

Could it be possible that because i didnt shake up the foam enough (only like 4-5 times) that the spermicide didnt work? And also, the condom never slipped and thats the only time we've had sex...

Thank you for any replies

Posts: 5 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, these "suspicious symptoms" could very well be a small case of the flu, and the bleeding like she explained could very well be due to irritation and scratching from the yeast infection.

It also sounds like she may be gettinf unreasonable and scared when you suggest a pregnancy test because SHE doesn't feel as much anxiesty about pregnancy and you feeling it is just making her uncomfortable/anxious as well.

If you used the condom properly and it never broke or slipped, then it's very unlikely you had any pregnancy risk, condoms are highly effective on their own.

Also, because you used the condom properly, there's really no way for the spermacide to have not worked, because it's unlikely they had any sperm to kill anyhow.

(Also? You may want to consider ditching the spermacide, it can be HIGHLY irritaing and can actually cause condom tearing more likely because it can dry out the vagina and cause more friction. I wouldn't be surprised if using the spermacide may have had something to do with your girlfriend getting a yeast infection)

I'd say chill, it doesn't sound like you had a pregnancy risk. If her period is late and your girlfriend WANTS to take a test, she can take one then, but again, not likely anything to worry about.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello blindman,

If you used a condom for all genital to genital contact and it did not slip, tear or rip, you two have a very low risk of pregnancy, even if you did not use the spermicide as directed.

Here at Scarleteen, we generally advise against using spermicide or spermicial condoms, as they can lead to allergies, irritation and may increase STI risk. Spermicide can upset the healthy balance of good and bad organisms in the vagina and bring up yeast infections.
Many women experience dryness when using spermicide, which can, in turn, cause more friction and lead to condom failure. Using a good quality lube with your condoms is a much better idea than using spermicide.

From your girlfriends symptoms, I get the impression that she might have a simple cold or flu and have been sensitive to the spermicide that you've used. Has she had treatment for the yeast infection yet? If not, and if this is her first, she should get herself to a health care professional to have it properly diagnosed and be advised about the correct treatment which is usually a short course of either topical or oral anti-fungal medication. For the moment, she can check out this article on Yeast Infections which also lists some home remedies.

Your girlfriends worries abour pregnancy are generally not 'unreasonable', even though your risk right now is very low: When you are sexually active, pregnancy is a real risk that you can't ever fully eliminate.
My gyno humorously calls it 'the reproductive thrill', and in my experience there can be times in your life when that thrill is just too great to fully enjoy sex. Have you two checked our our awesome Readiness Checklist? If your girlfriend is stressed about possible 'pregnancy symptoms', even though you two have a very low pregnancy risk, it might be a good idea to re-examine your readiness.

I'd also recommend that you two ditch the spermicide and check different additional birth control methods to use with your condoms, such as a diaphragm or a hormonal method like the pill, patch or nuvaring.

Pregnancy test, btw, depending on their sensitivity, can give reliable results even before a missed period, about two weeks after intercourse. So why don't you go out, buy a test (ideally: buy two, one for now, one for a re-test should her period not turn up in five days) for her so that she can take it when she's ready for it?

[ 04-07-2007, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: alaska ]

--------------------
caro

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theblindman2
Neophyte
Member # 32570

Icon 1 posted      Profile for theblindman2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for the fast reply, this site means a lot to jumpy people like me. [Smile]
Posts: 5 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.