Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Oops.. antibiotics and birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oops.. antibiotics and birth control
-arsyn-
Neophyte
Member # 27744

Icon 4 posted      Profile for -arsyn-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well today I made a pretty bad mistake, sex + antibiotics + birth control. Somehow in the heat of the moment I just plain forgot that I have been/am taking antibiotics all week long. [Frown]

Could somebody please help me look this up? I can't seem to find information on these specific medications. I'm taking Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo, and the antibiotic is Ciprofloxacin, or Levaquin.

Also, should I take EC just to be sure? Would it even help?

Posts: 35 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can find, it doesn't look like ciprofloxacin (Levaquin) compromises the effectiveness of birth control pills. You should be okay.

Generally, taking EC with so small a risk is not a good idea- EC can be pretty hard on your body- so I wouldn't recommend it in this case.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-arsyn-
Neophyte
Member # 27744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -arsyn-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't seem to find anything about it either, but I'm not sure. I found one useful website that named off a lot of antibiotics, but at the end it said "and others."

So I either really need to take it, or really probably shouldn't. I'm worried about waiting until tomorrow, but maybe I should just call a pharmacist and hope their information is valid...

I'm really tempted to take the EC just in case, I don't want to make this mistake a second time. [Frown]

Posts: 35 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've kept looking online, and other than a few sketchy-looking posts in other forums, I haven't found anything specifically citing ciprofloxacin (or any similar antibiotics) as having an effect on BC pills.

Only certain kinds of antibiotics interact with BC pills. Rifampin is a big culprit, and some penicillin based antibiotics can be too, but it looks like cipro doesn't affect birth control pills.

If you're really concerned though, it wouldn't hurt to give your pharmacist a call- after all, we aren't doctors here- just to double check. At any rate, the best window of time to take EC is within 72 hours of the risk, so you do have a bit of time still to check it out if you want to.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-arsyn-
Neophyte
Member # 27744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -arsyn-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I guess I might as well just wait then.

By the way thanks so much leabug. [Smile]

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

No problem! [Smile]

Just a final note though- many still do recommend using backup while on antibiotics, because there are lots of anecdotes of women concieving while on BC pills and antibiotics. (Most of those drug interactions have never been proven in studies or statistics, but hey, better safe than sorry I guess, right??)

--------------------
Lea

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.