Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Depo/Pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depo/Pregnancy
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried doing a search for this topic, I was unable to find what I was looking for.

I have a friend who was on the depo and her doctor said it was being declined by her body. It was also said that if she thought she was pregnant, a EPT would not pick up the pregnancy hormone because the Depo would cancel out the pregnancy hormone.

If she was pregnant, and on the depo, would a home pregnancy test detect the pregnancy, or was this statement true?

She has an appt. on monday for a blood test, pap smear, and ultrasound, but I wanted to clear this up for her to try to clear her mind a bit until then if I could.

Please reply with any known information or please provide a site that would answer this question.

Thanks!!

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depo wouldn't "cancel out" a pregnancy hormone -- the hormone that pregnancy tests look for is ONLY produced when a woman is pregnant. (It's called Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, or hCG, if you want to look for more information.) Introducing Depo-Provera into the body wouldn't cause a woman to produce HCG or mask the presence of HCG.

What the doctor might have meant was that it would be difficult for her to detect a pregnancy early since she might not have signs like missing a period. Still, this all does sound a bit odd, so it's good that she's getting checked out.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.