Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Missed pill + Plan B

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missed pill + Plan B
everglow
Neophyte
Member # 27470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for everglow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A close friend of mine and I had sex last night. Here's my question: She has been on the pill for several cycles. The week before we had sex, she had missed 2 days of pills. On the third day, she took three. Two days later, we had unprotected sex. I ejaculated inside of her.

Immediately afterwards, she told me that she had missed a pill. We drove to several drug stores and grabbed a dose of Plan B, which ended up being administered about three hours after sex. She exhibited none of the tell-tail signs of the drug; she didn't have a period although she admittedly had a headache and some stomach pains during the drugs cycle. These may or may not have been stress related.

So my question is this: What is the possibility of pregnancy in this situation? Is the lack of any menstruation during Plan B a good sign?

Thank you!

--------------------
Medicor iste libatio.

Posts: 8 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this case, the pregnancy risk is low. However, after taking EC, it's always wise to follow up with a pregnancy test 10-14 days after the risk, just to be on the safe side.

Per the lack of menstruation: you really can't use signs like that to judge whether the EC was effective, as everyone's body reacts differently. Some women experience some cycle wonkiness, some don't, and it's really impossible to predict what a given woman will experience.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
everglow
Neophyte
Member # 27470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for everglow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you kindly; two pregnancy tests were purchased with the Plan B. They will be used accordingly.

Thank you very much [Big Grin]

Any other information regarding the lack of a menstruation following the Plan B would be appreciated.

--------------------
Medicor iste libatio.

Posts: 8 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really there's not a lot more we can tell you - EC is essentially a large dose of hormonal birth control, and that ontop of the birth control she was already taking are likely to cause some sort of wonkiness, which could include causing her to skip a period or for her period/withdrawl bleed to be later than normal.

So, since we can't see inside her uterus and brain and know what checmicals are being released and what's doing what, that's about our limit. [Smile]

[ 11-12-2006, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.