Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » will alcohol/smoking affect the e.c.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: will alcohol/smoking affect the e.c.
tribalrose
Neophyte
Member # 29891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribalrose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the condom split in the early hours yesterday morning - i then took e.c. the morning after pill at about 12ish.. i got told to wait 3 weeks n if i havent strted by then to take a test - if i smoke/drink during those 3 weeks will it affect the effects of the e.c.
& also what does the morning after pill do and how long does it take to work?

Posts: 19 | From: EU | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, smoking and drinking won't affect emergency contraception. You can read more about how it works at our article on Emergency Contraception.
Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tribalrose
Neophyte
Member # 29891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribalrose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks, well no i'm just wondering if theres a risk of me still being pregnant after taking ec - my period started at least 2 nearly 3 weeks earlier than it should have..
is this normal with the morning after pill?

Posts: 19 | From: EU | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, EC isn't 100% effective.

However, since you've already started having bleeding to the level of a period, it's very safe to presume the EC has worked and you are not pregnant, and yes, unexpected bleeding is common.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tribalrose
Neophyte
Member # 29891

but weeks early..
surely it shouldnt be weeks early..
it might be a bit lighter too :/
& i have really bad lower back like on the left n in my lower tummy n like my shoulder hurts
- theres no chance of me having an ecloptopic (nt sure wht its called?)pregnancy is there? :S

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's normal to have vaginal bleeding, much like a period, after using EC, and since it's not technically your period, it's not a matter of "how early" it is, do you follow?

Ectopic pregnancies are rare, and tend to have no different symptoms than normal pregnancies. There's always a chance any woman may have one, but again, it's a rarity, especially among younger, healthy women.

If you are really concerned about having becomoe pregnant, through, the easiest way to bypass that would be to just take a pregnancy test now.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.