Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » sex during hormone free week

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sex during hormone free week
hanako
Neophyte
Member # 31182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hanako     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi. i've come for help...

i take the bc pill, marvelon to be exact. my cycle starts on friday, and i usually get my period on the monday of my placebo pills week, i.e. 3 days after i start taking the placebo pills.

my boyfriend and i had unprotected sex today, but i realized i had just started my hormone free week. am i in danger of getting pregnant? i really have no time to go and get a morning after pill since i work early in the morning for the two following days, but if it's necessary i'll make time to go.

or should i just wait to get my period? and if i don't, take a pregnancy test? thank you for any help!

Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as long as you've been taking your pills on time for one full cycle, you have nothing to worry about.

Basically, the hormones in the pill trick your body into thinking you've already ovulated, therefore suppressing ovulation. The placebo week allows your hormone levels to drop, which is what naturally happens when fertilization doesn't occur, which triggers a withdrawal bleed. It is perfectly safe to have intercourse during that time, since your body already "knows" you're not pregnant. I hope that makes sense!

You have absolutely nothing to worry about as long as you've taken the pills as directed. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hanako
Neophyte
Member # 31182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hanako     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh! that's really good to know. usually i use protection during my placebo week just in case, but today i had a brain fart...

i definitely took all my pills regularly and at the same time so i really shouldn't worry. thanks for reassuring me! [Smile]

Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim0024
Neophyte
Member # 31210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim0024     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a related question and didn't want to waste a spot to post on. My gf took her pill very regularly all month long except the last day of her hormone pills. She missed that last day, and took it 11 hours later when she remembered. Should we seek EC or is it not much of a worry because it was the last day of hormone?

Thank you.

Posts: 1 | From: WV | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say missing one pill is not going to compromise it's effectiveness that greatly that would warrant getting emergency contraception. So no, i would not seek out EC at this point.

A lot of couples choose to use a back up method (such as condoms) for this very reason though; sometimes things happen ... pills get forgotten ... It's nice to have a backup plan, ya know?

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.